Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting PCV idea...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting PCV idea...

I was recently outside changing my plugs and decided to pull my TB off just to see what the inside of the manifold looked like as far as filth (128k motor). What i found was a thin film of oil coating the floor and base of the runners, and knew the culprit was my pcv lines and old valve. I have a 98 Z and have the stock pcv setup and lines routing around behind the manifold into a 't', then to the valve and into the neck of the intake behind the tb. I know we are all tired of having to deal with oil in our manifolds/combustion chambes, so i came up with what i think may be the soloution. (I will try to get pics tomorrow!)
First, I removed all the pcv lines, except for the fresh air vent from the pass. valve cover to the tb.
Next, I removed the oil filler cap, and with my old pcv valve, traced the outer diameter onto the cap.
Then, using my dremel, I ported out the center of the cap to fit the pcv valve. (I used a fod pcv grommet, wil get a PN# from work tomorow)
I inserted the valve in the grommet and into the cap, then re-installed the cap. I chose this location for the valve, because it will still pull vapors from the pass. valve cover, and the filler neck is baffled as well as the valve cover, so only air will be pulled through it! Now for the driver's side cover...
I capped off the backside of the pass. cover with a vacuum cap, then i ran 3/8 fuel line (all i had at time) from the valve to a new vacuum "t" fitting and then from the 't' to the manifold.
On the other side of the 't', i ran my line to my homemade catch can i made from an air/oil compressor seperator from Lowes', then ran the line from the can to the backside of the driver's valve cover.
ALL DONE with great results!!!

With my setup, you still pull vapor from both valve covers, the catch can acts as an oil trap for the driver's side, and the oil cap neck acts as a baffle along with the valve cover baffle and traps oil mist, and with the stock fresh air line, you still flush the crankcase with fresh filtered air into the motor. 50 miles later and NO OIL RESIDUE!!! sweet huh?

This is a great setup for guys still running the LS1 valley cover setup. Don't know how this would work for you LS6 valey cover guys.

Last edited by LS1Wonder; 12-16-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: moe info
Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

btw, if this in the wrong forum, can someone please move this?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

why not a LS6 VC?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

from what ive read LS6 is the way to go.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 AM
11 Second Club

Got some pics?sounds interesting.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean like this:

This pulls no oil most of the time (when accelerating), but still pulls a little oil vapor;

[ I also reversed the air direction (air enters at the rear of each valve cover). ]

this is temporary, I still prefer the LS6 VC.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Yep, joecar yoor setup's just like mine. I ran a 't' inline with the valve to pull vapor from the drive's side cover. Exact same setup. How's it working for you?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about just removing the PCV lines, plugging the PCV ports in the valve covers and intake manifold, and just putting a valve cover breather where the oil cap goes? Theres no connection to the intake manifold so no oil, and the breather will still let the crank case vent.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

i would, but thee needs to be a vacuum source to physically pull the vapors out of the crankcase, or am i not thinking correctly? do you need the manifold to provide suction?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1Wonder
Yep, joecar yoor setup's just like mine. I ran a 't' inline with the valve to pull vapor from the drive's side cover. Exact same setup. How's it working for you?
I pretty much get no oil in the intake... there's no oil puddling, there is a very thin film of oil that comes and goes (seems to happen when I sit stopped in traffic for extended periods of time)... I get no oil on the back of the throttle blade.

I have an LS6 valley cover that I'll try when I change heads/cam sometime soon.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1Wonder
i would, but thee needs to be a vacuum source to physically pull the vapors out of the crankcase, or am i not thinking correctly? do you need the manifold to provide suction?
Yes, it requires "flow-thru"... fresh air coming in from somewhere, fumes going out via vacuum into intake manifold.

This performs several functions:
- removes blow by gases,
- removes water vapor,
- avoids crankcase positive pressure,
- maintains negative pressure on the seals (it helps them to maintain their sealing ability).

The disadvantage is the possibility of pulling in oil and/or oil vapor (which lowers the effective octane of the fuel/air mixture, this increases the possibility of sprak knock).