Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to sleeve a LQx block

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost to sleeve a LQx block

I know that it is more popular to sleeve an aluminum block, but what about the Irons? How much does it cost to resleeve an iron with a set of the Darton MIDs, Dry, or Wet sleeves?

DM
Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected. I had no idea you could do that. Steve at R.E.D. does awesome work. If you decide to do it hit him up!

Last edited by Jon@Texas-Speed; 12-20-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

There are MID sleeves out there for the late model iron Hemi engines and it's pretty standard practice to sleeve old SBC iron blocks for repair, so I don't see why you couldn't sleeve an iron 6.0L block.

I would imagine MID sleeves would cost are pretty much the same as doing an aluminum block since it's basically the same process, but I think if you're just sleeving it down for a smaller bore, you can do that for pretty cheap since the sleeves are cheap (RE: Badger sleeves) and I don't think the process is as complicated as an aluminum block.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noone is making sleeves intended for letting you turn a 4"-bore LQx into a 4.125"-bore LQx. And they're not going to. Because it's cheaper to just buy a new L92 block. That'll go to 4.125" bore with the sleeves it has. Plus it's aluminum. If you insist on 4.125" bores in an iron block, you'll have to buy the GMPP LSX block.
If you want 4.250" bores, the iron GMPP LSX block will do that too.
World's Warhawk block is another option
Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Sleeving the iron 6 liter blocks

I MID sleeved one for Erik At HKE a few years back. The LS1 LS6 MID sleeves work in these blocks allowing bores to 4.200".

It is however expensive to do because iron machines much more slowly than aluminum. It would run right around three grand to MID sleeve the iron GM block.

I do machine the 6.1 Hemi blocks for MID sleeves, with three on the way in right now in fact.

The LSX iron block is a cheaper alternative but of course the cylinder walls are on the short side for long strokes. It may be possible to dry sleeve the LSx blocks using the 5.8" long Darton Seal Tight dry liners. I will check that out next time I get an LSx block in.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Well what about a wet or dry sleeve for the LQx block; I'm guessing that it would be cheaper than the MID option?

You also bring up one reason I have been looking into this... My crank is a 4.125 so to have a deeper cylinder is one reason I've been looking into this. And to have a 4.2 bore with a 4.124 would make for a dirty little ***** of a motor

DM
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Sleeves

The MID is a wet liner, which is the only option for the iron 6 liter blocks. There is no way to dry sleeve the block using the dry liner I had Darton make for the aluminum blocks. There is not enough iron in the block to support dry liners. MID sleeves are self supporting with more than adequate thickness to hold a lot of power.

Let me attach a photo of the one I did for Erik, prior to decking and finish boring, so you can see what it looks like.

Steve

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Well what about a wet or dry sleeve for the LQx block; I'm guessing that it would be cheaper than the MID option?

You also bring up one reason I have been looking into this... My crank is a 4.125 so to have a deeper cylinder is one reason I've been looking into this. And to have a 4.2 bore with a 4.124 would make for a dirty little ***** of a motor

DM
Attached Thumbnails Cost to sleeve a LQx block-lq9-mid.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
The MID is a wet liner, which is the only option for the iron 6 liter blocks. There is no way to dry sleeve the block using the dry liner I had Darton make for the aluminum blocks. There is not enough iron in the block to support dry liners. MID sleeves are self supporting with more than adequate thickness to hold a lot of power.

Let me attach a photo of the one I did for Erik, prior to decking and finish boring, so you can see what it looks like.

Steve
lol, looks like a dirty turd with 4 shinny diamonds in it

So it's about $3k to do this to a LQx... I still have my LS1 in the Bird, what would it run to sleeve that with MID or Dry with a long sleeve for a 4.2 bore?

DM
Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Teching In

not to change subject off of iron block but how much does it cost to sleeve the alum. blocks
Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DRAGGIN10
not to change subject off of iron block but how much does it cost to sleeve the alum. blocks
It's all goods

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 12-19-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost to sleeve a LQx block