Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp Double Roller Chain Issue..VIDEO INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Slp Double Roller Chain Issue..VIDEO INSIDE!!!

Guys I'm having a hard time getting the cam gear to seat on the cam shaft with this slp double roller chain. It will not let me lift the cam gear enough to thread the bolts in. Am I missing something? Click on picture for video.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

get another chain.....it might need another link
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I have had this problem installing double rollers on SBC's. What I have had to do is not push the crank gear on all the way and walk it forward as you put it on the cam. With the double roller sometime there isn't enough slack in the chain to have the crank gear on all the way and not the cam gear. I hope that made sense.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I have had this problem installing double rollers on SBC's. What I have had to do is not push the crank gear on all the way and walk it forward as you put it on the cam. With the double roller sometime there isn't enough slack in the chain to have the crank gear on all the way and not the cam gear. I hope that made sense.
So does this mean I have to take my damn oil pump off again?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greekey
Man unless someone has a different idea, then probably yes.

I just did my first LS H/C/I swap on my bird this year. I have worked on dozens of SBC's, LT1s, Pontiac's and have had this problem. I say this not to fluff my feathers saying I am some great mechanic because I don't think I am. What I am saying is I have seen it on many different engines and there is only one way I know of to install it without damaging anything.

With the dowel on the cam the cam gear has to "rock" forward so to speak to get the gear on.

With two rows of links on the double timing chain the chain can't flex, bend, however you want to say it, forward to back enough to get the chain on.

I have in the past, put a small round screw driver in one of the holes through the gear into the cam opposite side of the dowel and smack the side of the dowel, lightly, with a small hammer.

IMO, this is not the best way to do it. You can mess the dowel up or the threads in the camshaft.

I would get some insight from some other people before listening to me. That last thing I want to do is lead you don't the wrong road on an LS engine.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do exactly what liljay said. Theres just not enough slack in those chains to do it any other way. And not to be an *** but why would you install the pump before you have the timing chain installed?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

lol What they said^^^^ I had to install the same way. Slid em both on at the same time.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ebk06
I had to do exactly what liljay said. Theres just not enough slack in those chains to do it any other way. And not to be an *** but why would you install the pump before you have the timing chain installed?
Exactly.

Let it be a lesson learned. Don't reinstall the pump until you have your timing set where it needs to be.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ebk06
And not to be an *** but why would you install the pump before you have the timing chain installed?
He probably never thought it would be a problem.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
He probably never thought it would be a problem.
Jay thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it another shot tonight. So the chain should still be on both gears but the crank gear I should pull out a little bit correct?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Jay thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it another shot tonight. So the chain should still be on both gears but the crank gear I should pull out a little bit correct?
The chain should be on both gears, and you install both gears (with chain attached) at the same time as evenly as possible (I'm guessing little by little).

At least, that's what I gathered from peoples posts in this thread. I'll be installing an SLP double roller + SLP oil pump too so this is useful info...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Yea you have to have the chain on both gears. Then as evenly as possible push them on together without rotating them out of alignment. It sometimes take a while to get it just right. If you start getting frustrated set it down and walk away for a bit because thats when mistakes happen.

I kind of got lucky. Mine slid right on without any problems and was bolted up within 2 minutes.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this works some times. just get the dowl pin started, with the upper gear off the cam hub still. (use some thick lube hold the touringtion bearing in place) the cam will turn clockwise a little to lower the pin hole to the crank. and use a waterpump bolt into the cam, you have to be careful not the cross thread it but the cam in billet and strong. You can use the WP bolt as some leavage to get the upper gear up on the cam hub, you almost dont have to thread the bolt in much, just get it in the front of the hole. And rock it up and get the upper gear one the cam hub, and hand thread one wp bolt in.

if not your gona have to get the pump off and get the lower gear out a 1/4 to the chain is alined better. its gona be on tight.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, you got it.

Pull the crank gear back some, put the chain on both gears, make sure they are dot to dot, start walking everything towards the block, once you get the cam gear on the dowel it will be easier. However make sure the cam doesn't spin. This is where you can use a small screwdriver or punch to help keep the bolt holes lined up. You might have to use the screwdriver/punch to turn the cam once the gear is flush against it. Put the bolts in and tighten them down evenly. Spin the motor over a couple times to verify the dots are lined up. I personally put blue loctite on the cam bolts to a little added insurance.

I am sure you won't have any problems once you get everything lined up.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Do you have a heat gun? If you do just heat the chain links up good and it should grow enough to get it on. I have a electric gun that heats to 1000 f works great for this kind of bs.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
Do you have a heat gun? If you do just heat the chain links up good and it should grow enough to get it on. I have a electric gun that heats to 1000 f works great for this kind of bs.
Seriously????????
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

why not? you don't think the chain is gonna get hot and bigger when its running OF COURSE IT IS! I would try it before taking it back apart, its easy to heat that chain up, it will grow ALOT. Just heat evenly from one side to the other till its about 200 f, it will fall on.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

and some people have problems with TO much slack
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't the 1000F degree heat gun cut the chain in half?

Given, you wouldn't have the problem of not being able to put the gear on anymore.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

I hope you are kidding? It aint a blow torch, its a electric heat gun. The air coming out of it is around 1000 degrees.

http://www.amazon.com/1500-Watt-Dual...2643542&sr=1-2

Quick Reply: Slp Double Roller Chain Issue..VIDEO INSIDE!!!