Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

threaded IAT and 3-bar MAP Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default threaded IAT and 3-bar MAP Sensors

Related info: 06 silverado, procharged iron 5.7 with victor Jr. intake.

I asked about this over on the bullet and didn't get a ton of answers that I felt real comfortable with. What I'm looking for is something that I can use the factory harness plug on. The more I look, that doesn't seem like a possibillity with MAP, however there are a ton of threaded IAT's out there (MSD, AEM, DYIAUTOTUNE and some others to name a few) The problem is that I can't tell if they will use the factory connector and if parameters would have to be changed in the tune up to run these.

Here is my point: I'm trying to clean up the engine bay and wiring and would like to use a screw in MAP and IAT that will connect to the factory harness plugs. Is there something I'm missing?

My HPTuner Operating System has a VE table calibrated for a 3-bar map which I have been dangling off a hose and barb fitting and it looks like ****. AEM sells a threaded 3.5 bar MAP (will have to change the connector). My question is will a 3.5bar sensor work on a 3 bar operating system?

At the end of the day I can live with the MAP I have now and just hang it off the side on a hose and barb fitting in the intake. I know it works and can deal with that. My IAT on the otherhand is one that presses into a gromet that was put in my old elbow and it got blown out one time on about 23 pounds. As I'm likly going to not be going down in boost this is a problem. Is there an IAT I can buy that will thread in, use factory connection and not require a degree in tuning to calibrate?

I've searched this site to no avail for the last hour.

Help me out guys.

I'm gonna post this in the forced induction as well if that is ok to try to get as many hits possible. Hope that don't break the rules.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a standard GM IAT sensor for a Syclone or a typhoon that is threaded with regular pipe thread and plugs right up. There are a couple of different suppliers of these, I bought the one with a cage around to prevent my engine from ingesting it if it ever broke off. It looks like this:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...EPB318301.html
Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
There is a standard GM IAT sensor for a Syclone or a typhoon that is threaded with regular pipe thread and plugs right up. There are a couple of different suppliers of these, I bought the one with a cage around to prevent my engine from ingesting it if it ever broke off. It looks like this:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...EPB318301.html
That's an ECT (though your post describes the right IAT).... while it may work as a substitute for an IAT on an N/A vehicle but you don't want it for FI. Plus, the IAT plug won't plug into that.

OP, the unit that you are looking for IS a plug in replacement for your OEM unit.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That picture is the first one I grabbed off google. This is what I am running on my car.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

It's pipe threads IIRC and I made a little adapter to screw in to the intake elbow.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

that's right; it's threaded NPT
Old 12-18-2010, 02:31 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I called AEM today to talk about their thread in IAT's and MAP's. For the IAT he gave me a GM Part# and told me to call my local autoparts and get them to cross the number. It the same sensor they sell and apparently is more presponsive than the factroy style ones. I went and bought it and it uses a 3/8" NPT thread and the factory clip goes right on. So mission accomplished there.

I then started asking them about their thread in stainless MAP sensors (3.5 bar one). The plug is different so that can be figured out. While I had him on the phone I opened up my tune in HPT to see how closesly his suggested calibration compared to that of my 3 bar gm map.

Items we looked at under the Engine Diagnostics/Airflow Tab:

1. MAP Sensor Linear---single value in kpa---
The linear claibration of the MAP sensor (slope) in KPa per 5v.

With my current GM 3-bar sensor I was using 305.00 in this table.
AEM suggesstion was 343.38 in this table

2. Map Sensor Offsett---single value in kpa---
The offsett calibration of the MAP sensor (kpa) at 0V

With my current GM 3-bar sensor I was using 10.33 in this table.
AEM suggesstion was to use 0 (zero) for the offset.

3. P0106 Error MAP Calculated Max
Table specifies the maximum MAP predicted based on TPS and RPM.

With my current GM 3-bar sensor I have all values in this table maxed to 320.
AEM made no comment on this as they don't have this safty feature in their Engine Management Systems. He advised that I sould leave it the same as it is just a test for tripping engine lights and reduced power mode.

4. P0106 Error MAP Calculated Min
This table specifies the minimum MAP predicted based on TPS and RPM.

With my current GM 3-bar sensor I have all values in this table min'ed to 10.
AEM made no comment on this as they don't have this safty feature in their Engine Management Systems. He advised that I sould leave it the same as it is just a test for tripping engine lights and reduced power mode

One point that the guy at AEM made at the end was that it seems like these GM sensors, pcm and software we are using to tune are calibraing the MAP's off of a 0 to 5 Volt range. He said the data he gave me was based of a .5 to 4.5 Voltage range, which is the range that this particular MAP operates. So he couldn't answer the question of will it work plugging in his suggested numbers or leaving mine in. I'm sure this think could work, but what info are we missing. I'm sure this has been done before but I can't find any info on it all.

Sorry for the long post. Lots of info here.

Anyone have any insight to making sure this would work? They want $150+ for it so I really don't want to be the guinne pig on this on.

Last edited by Blown06; 12-18-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

You can't force the VE's range, only the offset and linear... I'm sure you CAN get this to work, but I don't see how it could be preferable to the standard 861 3-bar 0-5VDC GM MAP. I want to be the MAP value that I log to be ACTUAL MAP, so I really know what boost is from the log.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Frost
You can't force the VE's range, only the offset and linear... I'm sure you CAN get this to work, but I don't see how it could be preferable to the standard 861 3-bar 0-5VDC GM MAP. I want to be the MAP value that I log to be ACTUAL MAP, so I really know what boost is from the log.
I agree with you 100%, my 3-bar GM MAP has worked flawlessly. I was just looking for a MAP (that works as well as the gm piece) that will thread somewhere into the manifold for a cleaner look.

Having to hose clamp a rubber hose to the MAP and rount it to a brass barb fitting on the intake (with another hose) clamp, then trying to zip tie the MAP down to something to hold it in place, seems like a mess to me as I'm trying to simplify and clean up under the hood. A threaded sensor would alleviate both of those issues and no "ratty" hose clamps and zip ties would be needed.

make sense?

Quick Reply: threaded IAT and 3-bar MAP Sensors