Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 questions

sorry for the dumb question but i was having troubles finding the specific info i am looking for.

i am needing to know if the shifter location and the trans mount location are same between the ls1 and lt1 trannys. also is the overall length of them from engine side of bell housing to end of tailshaft the same since they did have different bellhousings. i am needing to know because i can get a trashed one from an lt1 car for next to nothing and would like to use it for mock up for building all my engine and tranny mounts until i can source a good t56 from an ls1.

thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

idk if the lengths are exactly the same but i know the input shaft, bell housing, and mid plate are different between lt1 and ls1.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

i found an ls1 t56 that needs 1st 2nd and 3rd gear synchro's for 750. is that an alright deal for the price or are they asking too much, unfortunatly i can get a good one for an lt1 for the same price but in the end i would still be around 1400 or so after converting it over. i just dont want to dump a lot of money into the project before the beginning of the year.

i dont mind getting one needing some work since i dont have the car ready yet and could repair it after i get all my mounts fabbed up.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

An LT1 box will bolt up for mockup fine. It won't match all bolts at the LS bellhousing though and it has a shorter input shaft w/ the splines closer to the trans. so you can't mock up clutch stuff with it.

Everything but the front plate and input are externally the same.