LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pretend I'm NOT asking about a CAI with H/C/I in my sig...lol

Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretend I'm NOT asking about a CAI with H/C/I in my sig...lol

So I'm trying to pick up a CAI for pretty much as cheap as I can (excluding ebay stuff) which means I can't be too picky. I don't plan to exclude '94-'97 CAI's since I know they can be made to fit with a little bit of PVC or something better (where my question comes in).

What my question is, is what the best method is to connect the tubing for a '94-'97 to the elbow in my '93? Is it PVC and clamps? Or can someone suggest something better?

I did some searching yesterday and today and I found a thread from a looong time ago with a picture of a much better (at least it looked like it) setup than some PVC but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Any pictures/methods/stories would be greatly appreciated, or if someone knows of a past thread with some details I'll take that also.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure a Fernco sewer pipe adapter would work just fine. Available at any hardware store.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

i hate the lt1 intake setup.. go for the lid swap or a ram air imo.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, RamAir, that's what I'm lookin' for! Thanks man!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to vatozone and get a conical ricer air filter for $15. the generic ones are all 3in inlet and should stretch over your throttle body. Cut a half inch hole in the neck for the iat sensor and you're good to go
Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can probably find some silicion couplers for turbo's if you want to step it down from the TB to the filter. I didnt care for the LT1 intake setup. thats why i went through the trouble of doing what i did. your a speed density car so atleast you dont have to worry about the MAF

But theirs alot more to it then meets the eye. I dropped the radiators down about an inch and a half. I removed the front air dam and cut away the slots on my bumper. Aswell as removed the fog lights (that didnt work) but to me its the best and unique
Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

That is a pretty nice setup, I must say. But that 'more than meets the eye' part is what keeps me from doing it. lol.

A standard CAI may not be the best possible route for the absolute most power (if I wanted that I'd have gone with a much bigger cam! lol) but it's the easiest and will far outperform the stocker tubing and airbox! lol.

(To everyone) I wouldn't say no to more pictures of other intake setups though.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by robmnrd
That is a pretty nice setup, I must say. But that 'more than meets the eye' part is what keeps me from doing it. lol.

A standard CAI may not be the best possible route for the absolute most power (if I wanted that I'd have gone with a much bigger cam! lol) but it's the easiest and will far outperform the stocker tubing and airbox! lol.

(To everyone) I wouldn't say no to more pictures of other intake setups though.
Ty ty, i like different and being a fabricator and welder, it helps me do whatever i want lol. A lid conversion isnt that hard from what everyone thats done it have said. and it definitely out performs an LT1 CAI
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah there's a bunch of threads floating around here on the conversion (including one where they saw +10rwhp and +17rwtq I think on their H/C car?) which I may do if the '93 ever becomes my non-DD (in the most literal sense...literally every day. lol) I mainly don't want to cut the radiator support, I'm not big on that sort of modification...just a thing I have.

However, I did go check out those couplers you suggested and I think that may actually be the best route! 3.5" ID would fit it snug into the elbow, and at most a clamp around the end that meets the new CAI! Very much appreciated.

EDIT: Do you have numbers from your LE cam (dyno)? Or track times?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Im pretty sure I have a K&N cold air minus the filter, Id let go real cheap if I can find it.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Details AC, por favor.

Being in the Chicago area shipping would be fast and easy since I'm right across the lake from you...more or less. lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Ill look for it after work.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks AC, 'preciate it.

Though as of right now my current best value is a lingenfelter CAI including filter, shipped to my door for 135! :o
Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The regular cai aren't bad for a dd....my 93 is the same way. K&n's come with a little plastic tube to take the place of the maf for our cars....I had an intake minus the tube and iirc I got one from the for sale section for $5+ the ride....

And I'm with you, definitely not a fan of cutting the radiator support....just means there's a cowl hood in my future ;-)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah man, if I had the coin for it I'd definitely get a new hood. I was snooping around the forum the other day and saw one that I'd never seen before, once again I can't find it now but it was great looking!

I wouldn't mind this thread turning into a combo CAI/aftermarket hood picture thread (all are invited!).
Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a pic of a CAI, this is the ebay special, looks good,
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FactoryPhil
Here is a pic of a CAI, this is the ebay special, looks good,
until you notice the coupler from the TB to the first pipe is collapsing in on itself. look at the drivers side of the blue coupler.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

also on a side note the MAF on this car is a LS1 MAF, that is reason it bellows out the way it does, when i got this car it had no intake piping , this intake was the least expensive way to put car together so i could resale, the polished valve covers also are same brand as ebay carries they sale for around 120 bux, but yea someone said pic thread so wanted to put it out there thanx
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
until you notice the coupler from the TB to the first pipe is collapsing in on itself. look at the drivers side of the blue coupler.
yea very true I never had issue with it tearing but i may have drove thiscar 20 miles, kinda get what you pay for , the boots you get are really cheap, i have also heard stories of these filters collapsing and sucking up into the intake tract,
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I have one of those Ebay special ones that came on my 95 Z28 parts car-turned project car. I don't like the elbow end of it, but past the MAF it would probably work pretty good. I already have a spare Moroso CAI & a LS1 radiator support with unknown brand aftermarket lid....so I doubt the Ebay one will get used. After I get a stronger rear in my 97 SS, maybe I can find time to test them all at the track one day. 1. Ebay special, 2. Moroso, 3. K&N, 4. LS1 lid set-up, and 5. SS ram air.
I don't think dyno numbers matter at all when it comes to air induction because the car is strapped down and stationary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pretend I'm NOT asking about a CAI with H/C/I in my sig...lol