LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive?

Anyone ever have problems with there car switching to overdrive? The other day mine just started hesitating before it switches, and at the perfect speed/rpm, it will switch back and forth. I did a search and seen a few people had the issue when the weather got cold, just checking to see if its something to worry about.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure it's not the converter locking and unlocking? I've actually expreienced what you're describing, and it's been two diferent things. When my trans went the first time, you could be cruising around 65 or so, and the RPMs would occasionally oscillate up and down 200-300 RPMs and then settle down. As it turns out, the torque converter clutch was failing, and the material was flowing through the trans and trashing all of the soft parts. They rebuilt it, but that only lasted 23k miles before they had to replace it.

After the dealer replaced the rebuilt stock tranny with a GM remanufactured, I would get a hesitation when the trans was not up to temp when I would be running about 60 MPH and trying to accelerate off a moderate downshift. When it would drop down into third, you'd get a feling (and see on the tach) like it was quicky going in and out 4th, before finally staying in third.

Dave @ TEP thinks this is some sort of a stuck valve.

Do either of these scenarios describe what's happening?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Yup, the first scenario sounds like it. Awesome,just what I needed. I will also have to talk to my uncle, he's a gm tech. I will just have to save up for a ranny for the rest of winter. Hopefully it doesn't completely go. Just a reason to build it up.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it will start to get worse and worse... quick...

mine started out like that... then went to whole front end shuddering when it shifted... then ramming/lunging into gear when it finally shifted...

just had to get mine done a few weeks ago... didn't even bother with them doing a rebuild... told them from the start to just get me a new GM SERTA tranny... 3 yr / 100,000 mile warranty on it... I didn't want to have them rebuild it and then I have more issues in another couple of months and have to be back there... just do it new from the start...

$3,000 job....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
it will start to get worse and worse... quick...

mine started out like that... then went to whole front end shuddering when it shifted... then ramming/lunging into gear when it finally shifted...

just had to get mine done a few weeks ago... didn't even bother with them doing a rebuild... told them from the start to just get me a new GM SERTA tranny... 3 yr / 100,000 mile warranty on it... I didn't want to have them rebuild it and then I have more issues in another couple of months and have to be back there... just do it new from the start...

$3,000 job....
The best thing about the SERTA trannys is the warranty. That's what I have in my car now, though I don't have a warranty since it was replaced under a warranty that has since expired. Dave @ TEP was telling me that the SERTA trannys have very uneven quality, as they reuse the "good" hard parts from cores and simply replace the soft parts. He's seen several LS4 4T65-HDs come through without the V8-specific geartrain.

It's just a shame that GM cobbled together a compromise for these cars. I've got to think that the failure rate by 100,000 miles is close to 75%. The last time I saw something this bad was then the TH700R4 came out in the 1982 Camaro. It had a 100% failure rate by 50,000 miles and GM actually did something about it because they sold so many of them. Unfortunately, since they only sold 40,000 or so LS4 cars over 5 model years, we won't get the same treatment.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Ya, this sucks. When I bought the car I figured I was golden, since it already had a manufactured trans. But the car didn't come with a warranty cause of high miles. My dad knows a ranny guy luckily, maybe a will call TEP and see what I really need to make it last.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JWMayes
Ya, this sucks. When I bought the car I figured I was golden, since it already had a manufactured trans. But the car didn't come with a warranty cause of high miles. My dad knows a ranny guy luckily, maybe a will call TEP and see what I really need to make it last.
There's no better guy out there than Dave @ TEP. He's honest and very knowledgeable.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there just a number for tep because i cant find a web site
Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

www.tripleedgeperformance.com