Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

5.3 into a 66' Impala - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 into a 66' Impala - Won't start

I have installed a 2001 5.3L and 4l60e trans into a 66' Impala. I used a factory 2003 harness and converted to a DBW system using 03' pedal, TAC, and trottle body. I am still using the 2001 fuel injectors and coils.

The engine cranks but won't start. I have tested almost every wire for continuity and checked for grounds and hot leads. Everything seems correct.

I get PO1125 and PO315 codes when I check the scanner. I know the 315 is a crank sensor relearn and the 1125 indicates a bad sensor in the trhrottle system.

Also the throttle body does not open or close when moving the trottle pedal although it does do a quick movement when the key is first turned on.

I have tested each of the seperate parts (throttle pedal, throttle body, TAC, PCM) on another vehicle and it starts just fine. I figure I made a mistake in the harness somewhere, but have run out of ideas.

I need some ideas! I was supposed to have this car reeady for my youngest son for Christmas.

UPDATE:

First, my son reminded me that we did not actually install the throttle body on my other vehicle, only plugged it in to verify that it would open and close, as commanded by the pedal.

Second, I got frustrated and sprayed starting fluid down the intake and the engine runs for a second or two then shuts down (runs out of starting fluid).

? - How can I check to see if the injectors are firing?

I have 62 psi fuel pressure at the rail.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Teching In

check injectors with a noid light should be working if u are getting a reading from the cam and crank sensors. but you said u have a p0315 for crank relearn you are gonna need to take it to mechanic who is familiar with a scanner who can do the crank relearn procedure!! as for the other code maybe the mechanic can help u with that! maybe the 03 harness wont work with 01 engine?

Last edited by will02; 12-21-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

also go to the PCM&DIAGNOSTICS section here on this site go to LOOK UP AN SES CODE!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

what fuel pump do you have & are you sure its workin? might need to recheck the wiring & make sure the pcm is controling the pump or even upgrade to a better one maybe?
just a guess, but it sounds like no gas if it fires up & then dies
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2double check the pump is getting power.. also , what ignition are you using? Are you running stock computer ....security disabled?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 PM

I had same problem with my car, so I sold it.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Ok, so I got a set of noid testers this morning and found that all eight injectors are getting signal. I talked with Ryan at Synister Performance and he figured that all of the injectors were stuck closed. So I pulled all of them and tested them individually and sure enough, not a one of them makes the cliking noise that I was told to listen for when I hook them directly to a battery.

I am currently soaking them in Sea Foam ( I read someone's post that recommended it) and I will see if I can get them unstuck.

Any recommendations for a good place for cleaning and rebuilding them properly?

Also, does anyone know the spec. differences between stock 2001 5.3L and stock 2003 6.0L (both trucks) injectors? I know they have different plug styles, but that is the limit of my knowledge there. Just wondering if getting the 6.0l injectors would improve performance?

Thanks for all of the ideas, and

Merry Christmas!

Jeff
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
X2double check the pump is getting power.. also , what ignition are you using? Are you running stock computer ....security disabled?
Pump runs properly and I have 62 psi at he fuel rail. The pcm was programed at Synister Performance and when I plug that same PCM into one of my other projects, the engine starts up and runs.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Well, injectors were infact stuck, not a one of them would open. I soaked them in the Sea Foam for a couple of hours and sure enough, it worked. Everything went back together and IT STARTED!!! Runs a little rough, so I need to get the injectors cleaned properly, but what a relief. Now to solve the 2 codes and I can have this thing ready for a test drive.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 5.3 into a 66' Impala - Won't start