Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd carb and DOD

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default msd carb and DOD

Ok just got off the phone with a GM dealer and my motor I just bought has the cylinder deactivation. so I searched on all the DOD info. I didn't run into any info about carbed motors with DOD.
This motor is going in a jet boat. The design means that the motor will have a constant load on it. My understanding is that DOD kicks on when the load goes down. The motor with "think" its in first gear the entire time its being used. Could I potentially run the motor as is without issues? Also in jet boat applications we normally like to see high oil pressure. Running the boat wide open will be around 5500 RPMS for a long stretch and having higher oil pressure helps. Can I even hook up the DOD motor to the msd box? The reason I ask is because I didn't plan on doing other engine mods until next year, and frankly can't afford it at the moment.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can leave the AFM (DOD) parts installed and have it tuned out of the ECM.

Or since its going in a boat. I would remove the intake and remove the valley cover that has the AFM solenoids and install an LS2 valley cover. Remove the heads and change the AFM lifters 8 total with regular lifters. That will basically remove all the AFM parts.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bo185
You can leave the AFM (DOD) parts installed and have it tuned out of the ECM.

Or since its going in a boat. I would remove the intake and remove the valley cover that has the AFM solenoids and install an LS2 valley cover. Remove the heads and change the AFM lifters 8 total with regular lifters. That will basically remove all the AFM parts.
I'm still reading on all this stuff, going on 4 hours now. From what I've read, you only need to change the motor components if you're doing other mods correct? And as far as tuning it out, the MSD computer doesn't have any connections for it.
So can I run the motor safely as is for now?
Can I just get the LS2 valley cover and change everything else next winter when I do a cam swap?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should be defaulted to OFF. Meaning you can run the motor with the MSD and everything physically there and it still be off.

Also I would drop the pan and remove the OPR located in the pan.

Last edited by Bo185; 12-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

If I remove the oil pressure regulator and change the valley cover out I can leave the other dod parts in until further mods right?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandeggo
If I remove the oil pressure regulator and change the valley cover out I can leave the other dod parts in until further mods right?
The problems I have heard of on stock trucks is the AFM (DOD) lifters failing.

I would bite the bullet and change the lifters too. But put good ones back in and be done. Then all you have to do later is a cam swap, which you won't have to remove the heads again.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

so reading more and more, there is alot of people with cars that disabled it via tuning. So in my application(MSD) there is no possible way for it to activate?

Last edited by sandeggo; 12-20-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandeggo
so reading more and more, there is alot of people with cars that disabled it via tuning. So in my application(MSD) there is no possible way for it to activate?
If you leave the DOD unplugged, it should default off.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

thank you