LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well I had my car towed to the transmission shop in Philadelphia, PA (about 25 minutes from my house) and the mechanic pulled the trans out immediately. He told me that the car's transmissions shift sloppy and the way they are built from the factory are horribe. He's had his share of LS4 cars in his shop before. When he started my car in his garage with the doors closed, my exhaust set off an alarm that was parked outside the garage door which i thought was hilarious. He told me that he will rebuilt my transmission and it will have a shift kit in there and a transmission cooler. Real cool guy and said he loves these LS4 cars because they are true sleepers. All in all everything will cost about 1600 dollars and should be ready by this Thursday right before the holidays
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

What shop on Philly? I'm ready to get my trans fixed, torque converter can't make up it's mind. Either engage or disengage, make up your damn mind!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better have that shop order the TEP valvebody and a Sonnax converter valve or you'll be having the same problems again, eventually.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen to the man.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a great shop!! ill be in the philly area in two days, unfortunately i wont be driving gxp, im flying.. rental car is a g5.....ugh
Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBlackBoxChevy
What shop on Philly? I'm ready to get my trans fixed, torque converter can't make up it's mind. Either engage or disengage, make up your damn mind!!!!
its called Riz Transmissions on Tansdale ave i guess thats North East Philly. I really cant wait to get this thing fixed. I miss hearing that exhaust rumble when i start it up and roar when i step on it
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Torresdale ave. That's 10 mins from my house, I'm gonna swing by after work and talk to them about my trans, try and sneak a peek at your LS4
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hahahaha i can dig it brother. yeah they do good work there. my boss refered me to them. he did however recommended that i NOT get a shift kit on this car because when he rebuilds it, it wont need a shift kit. my dad told me not to get a shift kit either but i think its because he's old school and doesnt believe in shift kits in these cars today
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Yep. Replace the converter valve, pressure control solenoid, valve body, and add a TransGo shift kit with a extra steel and clutch in the second gear clutch pack. If you feel like tuning then I'd also swap out your gears with for some 3.29's. Transfer cooler obviously. Other then what comes in STD. Rebuild kits you should be good to go. Goodluck!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Man.. excuse my spelling and crap I'm using my phone lol
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Yep. Replace the converter valve, pressure control solenoid, valve body, and add a TransGo shift kit with a extra steel and clutch in the second gear clutch pack. If you feel like tuning then I'd also swap out your gears with for some 3.29's. Transfer cooler obviously. Other then what comes in STD. Rebuild kits you should be good to go. Goodluck!

Thanks man. Im gonna go back up there probably tomorrow and see whats been done and etc. I just dont get why these cars crap out the way they do
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Quoted for truth. Be sure to go with Sonnax valves and not factory GM. If you don't, you'll be sorry.