Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable Question

What the heck is a PCV Valve and what does it do? Whats the deal with this Catch can? I have a 2001 LS1, wheres mine at?
Old 02-07-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I have been reading is that the PCV valve allows oil to get by it and get into the intake manifold. The catch can is one way to deal with that. Our cars did not come with this originally. The catch can would be installed between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Again, I'm no expert but that is what I have been reading here.
Thanks,
Old 02-07-2004, 06:28 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
What I have been reading is that the PCV valve allows oil to get by it and get into the intake manifold. The catch can is one way to deal with that. Our cars did not come with this originally. The catch can would be installed between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Again, I'm no expert but that is what I have been reading here.
Thanks,
you are correct

ls6 valley cover mod and catch cans are what people use to help with oil consumption. and worse comes to worse they just !pcv system all together and use a breather.

http://www.freewebz.com/soslo/foreman_oilcatch.htm

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 02-07-2004, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Thanks,
This is correct except that IMO, it's better to install the can before the PCV valve, not between it and the intake. No point in sucking oil through the valve and then into the can....
Old 03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then What Is A Pcv Valve And What Is Its Purpose?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OfficerZ28
Then What Is A Pcv Valve And What Is Its Purpose?
PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation

AFAIK, it basically allows the crankcase to vent built up pressure.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

The PCV is pretty interesting.... it makes HP, and it helps seal rings.

It uses vacuum from the motor (air rushing through the intake or manifold depending on what RPM yer at... manifold at idle, intake at higher rpm) to create vacuum suction in the crankcase. In a sense it reduces drag on the cylinders/crank by creating a low pressure area in the crankcase... also, the vacuum created under the piston rings, causes them to seal better. It literally sucks them out against the cylinder wall.

Now the problem with the LS1, is that it sucks oil while trying to suck air. I've heard a couple of explainations why (and there are probably more):
1) The oil gets all bubbly and air-rated by a faulty o-ring seal on the oil pump pick up tube which causes the oil to foam up, making it easier for the oil to get sucked into the PCV pickup. 2) The placement of the PCV in the head cover is not adequately baffled, and the shallow head cover puts it right down into the oil. The LS6 fixes this problem by moving the PCV port into the manifold valley (under the intake).

The catch can is like a water seperator on a air compressor. Its simply a way to help filter the oil out of the rushing air so that it does not enter the combustion chamber.

Hope that makes sense... peace!