General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What would cause this??? 98 LS1

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause this??? 98 LS1

I'm driving to work the other day when the speedo starts to jump between 65 and 75 mph. Volts were below the 13. Everything else was good.

When I came to a stop the car died and would not start. I pushed it out of the road and tried again, turns over not starting. So I went home and got the truck and trailer and came back to get it and it started, so I drove it up on the trailer no problems.

Today I had a friend of mine scan it to see if there were any codes stored, and nothing. I take it back home and unload it and start to drive it again, this time I only get to the end of the street and it dies. Tried to start it and it turns over but won't crank.

Both times the when I turn the key forward the trip meter is reset to zero and the zolt gauge is not moving?

I'm thinking about getting a battery but didn't know if I should be looking somewhere else first?
The car sat for about a month while I gathered parts to do a cam swap. Could the battery took a dump on me?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

If its running, it should be running off of the alternator, the battery is pretty much for starting the car. I wanna say bad alternator.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

agree on the alt. car runs for awhile until it just doesnt have the voltage maintain the fuel and spark to the motor. check with a voltmeter on the battery when the car is running. if its below about 13 then the alt just isnt putting out and needs to be replaced. a good alt should charge at around 14-14.5 volts
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Thats what I was thinking. But the GM tech said if it was the alt it would throw a code. I'm going this morning to get the alt checked. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been through 3 alternators and never got a code. When the last one went out while i was driving on the freeway, my gauges all went nuts bouncing around.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Teching In

All fixed.

The ground wire behind the drivers side head had broke the terminal off. So the bolt and ring were still on the head the wire was not.

New terminal and all is well in my little world. Alt is charging about 14. Car seems to be running a little better too.

Thanks for the advise guys.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed, but just FYI, I worked as a GM tech at a local dealership for about 6 years and never once saw an undercharging alternator pop a code. Like someone has already said, if you ever have a charging issue, don't rely on a code being thrown, but rather check your voltage at the battery, it should be from 13.5-14.5V.

Search this Thread