General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Auto headlight defeat?... Not so much

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto headlight defeat?... Not so much

I read in the sticky to use a scotchlock type deal to short out the wires to the light sensor in the dash, so I did, made damn sure the metal tab was pressed through both the wires. And it worked and I was happy, for about 2 weeks...the other day I was driving under a bridge and they came on...wtf?? Then they went off by their self and didnt do it again that night or the next day, then today I turn the switch off before I shut the car down and they dont go off...next time I get in (still night) put the handbrake down then they come on, Im driving then about 15mins later they shut off....

VERY annoying, I need a sure-fire way to disable auto lights, any other ideas?

Oh and the only wires I messed with in those 2 weeks was the spoiler LED light, I put a relay back there so it would quit lighting up like a tail light.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift up the dash and inspect your work. The problem may be obvious. Maybe try a new connector. Or, connect the wires in another way.

I've had the same problem. Initially it was caused by a trip down a wavy gravel road. Too much vibration loosened everything. I clamped the connector again with some pliers and no more problem. I have the problem again, but only occasionally. I haven't felt like fixing it again and just live with it when it happens. Some day I'll get to it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I used pliers the first time cuz I wanted to make sure it was connected really well...guess I should have wrapped it in elec. tape.. I dont want to take apart the dash again I always feel like im gunna break it lol..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is also a wire you can cut behind the headlight switch to defeat the auto lights
Old 12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nemss1
there is also a wire you can cut behind the headlight switch to defeat the auto lights
I actually had that apart just now putting a led in there...which wire there was like 20
Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
I actually had that apart just now putting a led in there...which wire there was like 20
ill look tomorrow and ill let you know which wire it was
Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

all i had to do was pry up in a few places with a flathead to get to the wires. didn't take the dash piece off, just pulled it up a little. it's very easy. i just cut the wires and butt-connectored them together. just take 5 minutes to check your connection, that's more than likely your problem.

Quick Reply: Auto headlight defeat?... Not so much