Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover baffles removed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover baffles removed

Guy I remove the baffles from my valve covers and install the late model valley with the built in pvc valve. Do I need to do anything other than hook up the right valve cover back to the fresh air intake? Then hook the other end to the vacuum port.

thank for your help
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you remove the baffles?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I installed stud mounted Comp Cam Rockers and the baffles were in the way.

The baffles where hitting the adjustment nuts.

thanks darrin
Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Has no one done this?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.055chevy
Guy I remove the baffles from my valve covers and install the late model valley with the built in pvc valve. Do I need to do anything other than hook up the right valve cover back to the fresh air intake? Then hook the other end to the vacuum port.

thank for your help
I'd tun a catch can in between to catch any oil that will make it past the VC's.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I'd tun a catch can in between to catch any oil that will make it past the VC's.
does the catch can go between the fresh air and the valve cover?
Or does it go between the pvc port and the intake. will the fresh air suck oil from the valve cover with no baffles?

thank you for your help
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.055chevy
does the catch can go between the fresh air and the valve cover?
Or does it go between the pvc port and the intake. will the fresh air suck oil from the valve cover with no baffles?

thank you for your help
It runs between the VC and the PCV. It really depends on how much blowby you have. Some people run a second one to the intake side. My last engine had so much blow by that I could connect to the intake or it would suck oil. I ended up running a small filter on the oil fill. My 427 has almost no blowby and I run both VC's into the downtube in front of the MAF and it stays bone dry. This is without baffles.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much. I will see how it acts.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grammer Grammer Grammer!!! And an answer!!!

6.055chevy... Who is Guy? And if it is someone, you should have a comma after his name.... WKMCD... "I'd tun a catch can..."??? What is "I'd tun"?? I think you meant "I'd run." WKMCD... You AGAIN!!! From the middle of another post. What does this mean?"My last engine had so much blow by that I could connect to the intake or it would suck oil". What did you connect to the intake? Why does your motor have so much blow by that you needed a filter on the oil fill? FInally, let me get this straight... On your 427, you have both covers routed to 1 vacuum port. The one that's on the Throttle Body itself? The one that see's very little to no vacuum? If I'm reading this right, than either it's not a boosted application, or if it is, than under boost your motor is burning oil like crazy, or pushing it out through the gaskets or seals. These motors (LS) have enough blow by from the factory that they literally put two vacuums, on them. One on both valve covers. Maybe you're really lucky and don't have any, but well... PHYSICS!!! My guess is, based on your grammer, you're just not smart enough to see all the ways blow by happens... To 6.055chevy.. Here's a real answer. If your valve train setup is causing the rockers or studs to hit the covers, then you need to get "tall" valve covers. However, you shouldn't have the nuts hitting. Something is definitely wrong if that happens. Unless you're using full floating rockers with a stud and tall locking "Allen key" style jam nut setup. If that's what you're running, and the jam nut is hitting, it's because they are "tall" and you really need "tall" valve covers. Removing the baffles will cause the sprayed oil from the pushrod to hit the top of the cover and be sucked up by the positive crankcase ventilation system. If this isn't a boosted application then you can potentially run just a breather on the valve cover, however depending on emissions in your area, this may not be street legal.
FInally, I'm personally a fan of have a small amount of oil inside the intake. By being sucked into the combustion chamber past the valve and it's guide, this oil helps to lubricate the valve train, both intake and exhaust, as well has help the cylinder walls get a hair bit of oil from the top side.
Think of it like a 2cycle engine.. I know it's 4cycle, however that small amount of oil doesn't hurt, and help lubricate. Plus oil has a higher flash point than straight gasoline, so with higher compression, it would technically help protect against spark knock. Finally, with something like E85, which has even less of a petroleum product in it, it definitely helps. That's why I think GM removed PCV valves from 2004 and newer. BTW, Alcohol washes oil away, so crank vent oil is a necessity IMO..
I hope this helps.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 06-18-2022, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by theunderlord
And who was that masked man???? LOL
Old 06-18-2022, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Was it a full moon last night?
Old 06-18-2022, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MySons68C20
Was it a full moon last night?
#LS1TechAfterDark

The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:59 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Sounds like some KingTalon junk…I’m looking into this.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

also, I like how the drunk guy who bumped a 12 year old thread to chastise about "Grammer Grammer Grammer!!!"

.... spelled "grammar" wrong.

​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by theunderlord:
Che70velle (06-18-2022), wannafbody (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:09 AM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by JamesTheGreat
6.055chevy... Who is Guy? And if it is someone, you should have a comma after his name.... WKMCD... "I'd tun a catch can..."??? What is "I'd tun"?? I think you meant "I'd run." WKMCD... You AGAIN!!! From the middle of another post. What does this mean?"My last engine had so much blow by that I could connect to the intake or it would suck oil". What did you connect to the intake? Why does your motor have so much blow by that you needed a filter on the oil fill? FInally, let me get this straight... On your 427, you have both covers routed to 1 vacuum port. The one that's on the Throttle Body itself? The one that see's very little to no vacuum? If I'm reading this right, than either it's not a boosted application, or if it is, than under boost your motor is burning oil like crazy, or pushing it out through the gaskets or seals. These motors (LS) have enough blow by from the factory that they literally put two vacuums, on them. One on both valve covers. Maybe you're really lucky and don't have any, but well... PHYSICS!!! My guess is, based on your grammer, you're just not smart enough to see all the ways blow by happens... To 6.055chevy.. Here's a real answer. If your valve train setup is causing the rockers or studs to hit the covers, then you need to get "tall" valve covers. However, you shouldn't have the nuts hitting. Something is definitely wrong if that happens. Unless you're using full floating rockers with a stud and tall locking "Allen key" style jam nut setup. If that's what you're running, and the jam nut is hitting, it's because they are "tall" and you really need "tall" valve covers. Removing the baffles will cause the sprayed oil from the pushrod to hit the top of the cover and be sucked up by the positive crankcase ventilation system. If this isn't a boosted application then you can potentially run just a breather on the valve cover, however depending on emissions in your area, this may not be street legal.
FInally, I'm personally a fan of have a small amount of oil inside the intake. By being sucked into the combustion chamber past the valve and it's guide, this oil helps to lubricate the valve train, both intake and exhaust, as well has help the cylinder walls get a hair bit of oil from the top side.
Think of it like a 2cycle engine.. I know it's 4cycle, however that small amount of oil doesn't hurt, and help lubricate. Plus oil has a higher flash point than straight gasoline, so with higher compression, it would technically help protect against spark knock. Finally, with something like E85, which has even less of a petroleum product in it, it definitely helps. That's why I think GM removed PCV valves from 2004 and newer. BTW, Alcohol washes oil away, so crank vent oil is a necessity IMO..
I hope this helps.
Hope that helps.
I’m just gonna set this right here before it magically disappears…
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
AnnivSS (06-18-2022), G Atsma (06-18-2022), theunderlord (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

This bozo signed up July 2020.
When was Kingtalon booted?
Old 06-18-2022, 02:29 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by G Atsma
This bozo signed up July 2020.
When was Kingtalon booted?
September of ‘19…
G Atsma (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 03:30 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by theunderlord
also, I like how the drunk guy who bumped a 12 year old thread to chastise about "Grammer Grammer Grammer!!!"

.... spelled "grammar" wrong.

​​​​​​​
This had me rolling.
theunderlord (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Valve cover baffles removed