Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another BMW E36/LSx Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another BMW E36/LSx Swap

I originally contemplated doing this thread from the beginning of the build and updating in piecemeal but I decided that it would be better to post following the initial conclusion of the build. I personally hate having to wait to see how things turn out so I don't make others.

The shop that carried out the swap Is Auto Evolution in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. I assisted in a purely research and vendor enforcement role; although there were a few times I did get my hands dirty. I will say I have always been a really big fan of this project since I first saw the Vorshlag alpha car here on Bimmerforums. I would talk at length to anyone about the benefits of the alu V8 in a E36. Usually I would get back the typical purist response, but more than a few times I would have a good interchange about the idea of the swap. Talking abuot it enough at the shop, with approximate vocals imitating a lumpy LS1 seemed to be enough to convenience Rob to take on the project.

This project began back in August; I know that may seem like a long time ago but its not exactly a very easy swap and the standard LS swap suppliers did not really help the situation much. Once the S52/ZF was sold the project could officially begin.

First items on order were the Engine and trans mount. At this point there was no engine at the shop but it was a moot point; besides we expected the mounts to be a few weeks. We knew at the time we ordered the mounts still needed to be fabricated, which was not a big problem given the lead time, well its funny how two weeks turns to three to four and ultimately longer.

We were told by the vendor that there was an issue with the fabricator moving locations, etc. To be honest I am sure there was a bit of truth to that but poor communication meant I was having to call the every day and that seems like very poor customer service in my books. I believe at the time they were in the middle of an E30 V8 swap, so maybe there was some priority there, who knows, all I can do is speculate.

During this void of waiting for the Engine arrived.

Yea it was a bit dirty so I cleaned and painted.

The motor is a LS6 from an 2001 Z06. This meant it had different springs and cam from the 02 as well as less power. This was not a big deal as the motor was getting a new cam/springs/rods anyways.

Next to show up was some items from New Age Hot Rods. These guys are great and to be honest If I had the cash I would have bought the whole swap kit from them but 1700 for just trans and engine mounts was kinda steep for me. We did however order ABS relocation kit and a custom one piece driveshaft.

I believe the ABS mounts are the standard BMW mounts but you just weld them further towards the front of the car on the frame. The ABS needs to be relocated if it is to be kept, as it interferes with the primaries if it is not.The drive shaft comes with a 4 bolt BMW flange to mount to 4 bolt input for the BMW diff. On the other end it has a flange appropriate for the T56 6spd trans.

A few other parts also came in.

So at this point we are still waiting for the mounts, we have most of the accessories. We are still missing a transmission. Initially we all thought that sourcing an F-Body Transmission would be a hella easy task, given the amount of cars it is used in. Boy did we get that wrong, after days of searching and calling around we were able to locate one from the US through Standard Auto; albeit at a higher premium than expected. Think ill miss the BMW reverse position. Almost seems like reverse is a 7th gear.

The mounts are still not fabricated, another month later. Rob decided that it was getting crazy and that it would be faster to fabricate the mounts in house. So the LS6 was for the first time placed between the E36 struts in its future home. After a standard mounting plate some cutting and welding the mounts were completed.

As you can see the engine sits quite low in the engine bay and almost completely behind the front axle. Should mean that it will not upset the legendary BMW handling one iota.The Engine and trans mounts were then cleaned up/painted and ready for when required.

Following the engine and transmission mounts being painted and being able to mount the motor in the car it was time to start looking at headers. Anyone who has looked into this swap knows that headers are one of the high cost items. This led us into a challenge because after fabricating custom all custom mounts it was unsure if any produced headers would even work. We were told from a source that it would likely not work but would be a good starting point. So we started looking for used LS swap headers, yea like they are super easy to find. Oddly we did find a few sets, so we spent a bit of back and forth time with measurements and seeing if they would work. In the end it turned out the headers were for a Ford 5.0 swap, but while we were communicating with these parties the shop received a few goodies.

The Cam is the Thumpr(275thr), I wanted a bit of exhaust overlap to give it a muscle car sound. It has no problem with that. After doing the cam swap some accessories were bolted on and we were ready for headers.

Rob felt that, again, in house design and build was the best way. So Block hugers were purchased and then cut apart. After some time playing with the pieces, much like the vendors kits, we chose to run the steering shaft right through the primaries.

The headers were then cleaned up and painted.

Now that most of the hard stuff was out of the way the driveline could be bolted in for good.

Next came the engine harness, fuel setup, and the rest of the accessories. This allowed us to start the car.

A few points to mention. The fuel system was built using a Corvette Fuel filter rather than the BMW one. The BMW pump moves enough fuel and because the Corvette fuel filter has an pressure regulator built in we were good to go.

The front end was then put back together and the heating system was worked out.

You will notice the BMW power steering fluid reservoir sticks way up from the engine this was only temporary to get the car moving; It did not stay like that.

Add in some head lights and a corner marker or two and here we are bound for the exhaust shop.

The exhaust configuration was up for debate right until the first pieces were welded on. The only decision we made going in was the choice of stainless.

We went 2.5'' from the headers to a 3'' Y pre Cat.

Then a 3'' cat into a MagnaFlow with dual oval tips.

So at this point we have the first startup and drive away.

I was worried it was going to be loud, but my fears were put to rest as it actually sounds quite tame, that is until you hit some higher rpms. Unfortunately I have no video of that to show you at the moment of WOT, rest assured that some will be posted soon enough.

That's about all there is too it.

Last edited by Danamal; 07-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Congrats!! Looks awesome.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

much better!

plan on tracking it at all?

Quick Reply: Another BMW E36/LSx Swap