Suspension & Brakes - UMI adj control arms locked up

View Full Version : UMI adj control arms locked up

NBM99SS
12-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Was wondering if anyone else had this problem? I have a set of UMI adjustable lower control arms and they are locked up. I cannot adjust them at all. I have tried a pipe wrench and crescent wrench. Tried putting the control arm in a vise which ended up messing up the powder coat a bit which I knew would happen, but still no luck getting them to budge. Any ideas? Heat was gonna be my next step.

Lt1Porsche
12-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Never had that problem. Try soaking them in some PB overnight and try again later.

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Never heard of an issue like this. UMI is top quality stuff.

You've backed off the jam nut and are trying to turn the heim, right? And you realize one end is threaded opposite the other?

NBM99SS
12-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Never heard of an issue like this. UMI is top quality stuff.

You've backed off the jam nut and are trying to turn the heim, right? And you realize one end is threaded opposite the other?

Yes I'm fully aware how they operate

cody161
12-24-2010, 10:14 PM
The heat is probably going to take the powdercoat off, hopefully you won't have to mess them all up to get them broke loose.

mitchntx
12-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes I'm fully aware how they operate

You just never know ... had to ask.

therealcreeper
12-24-2010, 11:42 PM
I had trouble with my spohns after they were a few years old. lots of PB blaster, a vice, and a nice long wrench with a hammer got it all apart eventually though.

tillery
12-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Once you get it apart. Try a dry film lubricate on the threads. It comes in a spray can. Lightly coat the threads and let dry under heat. We usually use a heat lamp at 150 degrees for 30 minutes. On the rod ends. I used a CPC hard film(also sprayable). Or a bi monthly treatment with WD-40.

NBM99SS
12-25-2010, 04:58 PM
You just never know ... had to ask.
All good man
Once you get it apart. Try a dry film lubricate on the threads. It comes in a spray can. Lightly coat the threads and let dry under heat. We usually use a heat lamp at 150 degrees for 30 minutes. On the rod ends. I used a CPC hard film(also sprayable). Or a bi monthly treatment with WD-40.

I'll give this a shot if I get them apart
I had trouble with my spohns after they were a few years old. lots of PB blaster, a vice, and a nice long wrench with a hammer got it all apart eventually though.

Sounds like my problem

ss1
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Next time around use a light amount never-sieze on the threads. It will keep the threads from binding up. Corrosion builds up in the threads and can make them nearly impossible to turn.