Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thumbs down Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? Help!!!

I posted this over in the Appearance and Detailing section, but I figured you guys are more local to my area and might know whats going on, Thanks for any help in advance.

Okay so I recently had the car painted back in May, it's been VERY well taken care of since it was painted. Waited about a month and a half before waxing. It's been kept up with Blackfire Paint sealant and I hand wash it weekly using two bucket method and Blackfire car soap. I go over every inch of the car when I wash it and I know that these bubbles have occured within the last week and a half. I called the shop that painted it today and he promised to call back as he was busy with another call. Surprise, surprise, he never called back. Now before I throw this "unnamed for now" shop under the bus, I want to what exactly might be the cause of these bubbles. It has been raining here in CA for the past week, could all the moisture be the cause? Will they go away? I'm pissed because I take care of this thing ridiculously well and spent hard earned cash on a paint job from a reputable shop and now this. It makes me sick. Oh and the bubbles are on both front fenders by where it curves to blend with the mirrors, both rear quarters, on the passenger door and I'm sure more will show up. Please post any thoughts or ideas! What a shitty day....

Bubbles:

Some pics I took today, safe to say I take care of the car very well...

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 12-24-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I cant imagine what caused them and dont think they will go away on their own.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

That looks like the clear coat starting to flake off.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Should this be happening after 7 months? WTF, I'm so pissed about this. They advertised a high quality paint job and everyone said it was reputable shop, damn things been a headache since I picked it up from them.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I work for a body shop, that's a classic example of bad surface prep work and the paint is "popping". Only way to fix that is to scuff it and reshoot it. Its likely coming up from underneath the basecoat. Color sanding will break them open and allow further contamination. Hopefully they gave you a warranty on it, as any shop worth a grain of salt these days will offer a liftetime paint warranty. What paint system do they use (ppg, glasurit, sikkens, etc)?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, I was told they used PPG. Would you say that they have to strip the car before reshooting to prevent bubbles from coming out of the old paint after the lay down the new stuff?
Old 12-25-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep, poor surface prep. There's some contaminants that weren't removed during prep and now because of weathering and heat, they are coming to the surface.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not clearcoat.. It's the primer underneath the base coat, "gassing out." It's caused by spraying the basecoat before the primer is 100% dry, or poor surface prep. It will require a re-paint.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Teching In

yep those guy are right it's cuntaminit.. a good pant job is all about the prep & not leting any 1 with armerall or wd40 any whear near the pant shop.
unfortchitly it needs to be taken all the way back down & redune! dont let them tell u difrent (not your falt) !00% the shops prob. & thay know it... probly why you havent hurd from them
Old 12-25-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gorr4
cuntaminit...leting...armerall...whear...unfortchi tly...redune...difrent...falt...thay...hurd

I make the occasional typo or grammatical error, but dude....for real?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

LOL seriously
Old 12-25-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you contacted the shop? You should have gotten AT LEAST a one year warranty. Id make sure i got it back before the year was up. Most paint places warranty their work 3-5-7 years, as long as it is a paint defect... not something like rock chips / door dings. Id talk to them and just be really nice about it, see what they plan to do. If they dont want to fix it let us know!

Might have just been a mistake. Somoneone could been doing something as simple as changing the vent filters. I dunno. Id give them another shot.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh they are definitely getting another shot, it's just frustrating for it to happen this far along and after I finally had it looking really nice. These bubbles just kind of occurred so suddenly, just bummed me out.

Quick Reply: Tiny bubbles in 7 month old paint??????? Help!!!