Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne LSX conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Porsche Cayenne LSX conversion?

I have been looking for a while to see if its ever been done... anyone seen anything like that?

I guess it would just be a glorified Trailblazer SS. But would be interesting to see a single / twin turbo ls in one... especially AWD.

Think it would be possible?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

There was a twin turbo V8 option made called the Cayenne S which is AWD of course. I believe those engines are pretty strong as well. Some of the high end Porsche tuners were making like 700+ with them I believe.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LS fits in there without a problem ( trust me , i measured ) , even a twin turbo LS fits without any problems.

the question is not if the engine fits or not but how will you get the electronics to work .
everything in that car depends on the computer(s) , so you'll have to find a way to integrate the stock harness with the ls1 harness. it could be possibly done if you just use the stock sensors and adapt them to the LS engine.

another thing to ponder is wether you can find/make an adapter to fit the LS to the porsche trans .
i know the trans has a seperate computer controlling it , but how much does it depends on the stock one(s) i'm not sure ( throttle input, rpm , MAP,etc) i'm not sure.

either way you look at it , its still cheaper than getting a porsche engine ( for a turbo ) which will cost you $36k ( without core) or $26k with core here at our local dealership - i asked
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What if you did aftermarket gauges/gm computers? Now were talking a REALLY glorified tbss (from a tech standpoint), but if its still porsche body/interior/suspension (trans/drivetrain pending) we'd all still want one...

god i bet porsche guys hate us (stealing their 'best' and 'worst' now right?)

Last edited by Irish350; 12-26-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why couldnt you use the LS wiring harness and computer? Then it would just be a matter of sending the signals to the dash. Hell i wouldnt mind doing a custom gauge cluster. If it couldnt be worked out. Find a way to fit a moniter or two in there and do it digital if you had to. Have a computer deal with all that (like you can with HP tunners).

I didnt realize that the transmission required a computer too. That could cause some problems. I imagine it wouldnt need many signals, like you said, those should be easy to send.

Because the low - end like 2004 cayennes are 12-15k.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Sorry it would still be alot more then a 'Glorified TBSS"...

And the "S" is the V8, the V8TT is just referred to as a Turbo.

My suggestion would be to do as 1DirtyZ is doing, and suggested, run the Porsche sensors on the Gm engine and make the transmission work with the LS. They dont have transmission issues for the most part and the AWD etc would all still work.

The LS would definatly fit, the Porsche engine is HUGE!!!

~Dirty, you can get reman Porsche turbo engines for about $20k without core for the Cayenne...

I dont see as much reason to do it UNLESS you have one with a blown engine, it would be MUCH cheaper to drop the LS in even with swap costs... But the Porsche engines are very reliable and make decent power... The 08 Turbo S is a freaking BLAST to drive... Absolutely ZERO body roll in ANYTHING you put it through... Will stop on a DIME... It really is an AMAZING vehicle... They all handle lilke that but the Turbo S has the PDCC system that is optional on the other ones, which is active swaybars....

Mark
Old 01-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Default Cayenne gm small block done!!

We just installed a Chevy small-block that was built with a nice cam and regular racing carb it was a little bit of a challenge we had to fabricate engine mounts we used a Chevy 4l80 transmission had to shorten the drive shaft but amazing how much room is in there it's going to be so much easier to work on them the Porsche motor trying to figure out the fuel system hopefully don't have to go with a fuel cell in the back spare tire compartment that looks great little bit of work but I think it will sound amazing and be reliable.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Sellit744
We just installed a Chevy small-block that was built with a nice cam and regular racing carb it was a little bit of a challenge we had to fabricate engine mounts we used a Chevy 4l80 transmission had to shorten the drive shaft but amazing how much room is in there it's going to be so much easier to work on them the Porsche motor trying to figure out the fuel system hopefully don't have to go with a fuel cell in the back spare tire compartment that looks great little bit of work but I think it will sound amazing and be reliable.
You can't drop a bomb like that in a 6 year thread and not offer pictures....

Is this even a LS swap or just a 1st gen small block?

Andrew
Old 01-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:44 PM

Default They are coming

Originally Posted by Outlaw 911
I posted pictures it said I had to wait for them to get approved by the administrator of this site
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 AM
8 Second Club

loool , I agree
Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
the LS fits in there without a problem...
Anytime an LS is going in where a DOHC V8 was originally ---- there's going to be plenty of room.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 PM

Default Anybody still here?

My dad gave me his old 2004 Cayenne S (150k on car, 45k on engine) and this summer I'm planning on fixing it up. My dad tried to open the engine himself in an attempt to replace the stupid plastic coolant pipes (which are notorious for bursting) but it didn't go well.. He left a screw inside the cylinder head... But I plan on sleeving the block anyways to make the car a reliable daily driver.
But still, I am not satisfied with the 340HP it is rated for. I have looked online and there are no turbo or supercharger kits available for it, so I don't know how I will significantly increase its power output.
In the future, when I save up some more money, I am considering LS swapping it no matter the cost since I seriously love the porsche 955 design. The on-road and off-road capabilities along with the sexy exterior (and interior) have me hooked on this car; Even the newer models of the cayenne don't look as good.

Here are some pics to give you guys a visualization of its potential,

Any advice, recommendations, comments?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne LSX conversion?