Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is there an accepted BEST solution for CAI on the V2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there an accepted BEST solution for CAI on the V2?

Looking to start the upgrade process (I do have 118 miles on it already....), is there an accepted BEST cold air intake kit that everyone can sort of agree on, or are they mostly the same?

I've seen D3's, Henessey's and I've heard of Volant and another I can't think of right now...

And by "best" I mean best overall, fit and finish and performance gain, not necessarily the cheapest.

Look forward to some more newbie questions from me in the very near future... :-)

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Personal opinion.

They all have their Fitamit issues, and they all get the same gains....

I have the Araid, I like it for the price.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Joe that intake I mentioned for sale has no fitment issues. It is a real nice piece for 150.00. Has a polished lid and polished tube. You will not be disappointed. Still uses all the engine covers. I can email you pictures.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
Joe that intake I mentioned for sale has no fitment issues. It is a real nice piece for 150.00. Has a polished lid and polished tube. You will not be disappointed. Still uses all the engine covers. I can email you pictures.
which one is this you speak of?

Araid doesn't have any fitamit issues, just a tight fit..... but it fits fine.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

it was one we had fabricated professionally. very nice aluminum pieces. looks just like the airaid piece, but aluminum.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

I had the Henessey one and all i can say is

The maf plate is not cnc cut and if it was then what a junk piece .. maf does not sit in place very well I had to rtv because i had a air leak...Filter is small comparted to other kits ... after doing a boost pulley ,ported blower , and z06 throttle body the gains were no where near what my buddy had on a identical setup minues the henessey intake ..( he had the d3 one)..

We swaped out my intake at the dyno with his d3 one and all i can say is wow easy fitment and i gained 40 hp ... the henessey intake was a choke.
The tuner said that the maf plate was not in a good place or clocked wrong i dont remember but it was making the car jump around at idle.

I ordered up the d3 one and i was amazed at the quality they include T bolt clamps vs screw clamps. ( I think they have a optional cold air attachment)

The Volant one i am not too sure but there was a guy trying to install one at a meet ,,, he was having a hard time there was alot of nuts and bolts its a multi piece heatshield and it was heavy .
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Is there an overall preference or problem with/between the D3 unit and the KPE unit?

D3: $395 + shipping: http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/d3ctsvintake09

KPE: $299 + shipping: http://www.kpe-products.com/cart/ind...&sortorder=ASC

?

Joe
Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

The KPE looks good from that picture but... it is not a K&N filter looks like
air raid ... and that injection molded plastic is going to have a turbulence issues because where the logo is its molded inward and not outward for a flush placement.. same goes for the pcv inlet the way the plastic is molded looks like it will have flow issues...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
it was one we had fabricated professionally. very nice aluminum pieces. looks just like the airaid piece, but aluminum.
awesome. Have any pics? I might have to switch mine....

Originally Posted by hyespeeder
I had the Henessey one and all i can say is

The maf plate is not cnc cut and if it was then what a junk piece .. maf does not sit in place very well I had to rtv because i had a air leak...Filter is small comparted to other kits ... after doing a boost pulley ,ported blower , and z06 throttle body the gains were no where near what my buddy had on a identical setup minues the henessey intake ..( he had the d3 one)..

We swaped out my intake at the dyno with his d3 one and all i can say is wow easy fitment and i gained 40 hp ... the henessey intake was a choke.
The tuner said that the maf plate was not in a good place or clocked wrong i dont remember but it was making the car jump around at idle.

I ordered up the d3 one and i was amazed at the quality they include T bolt clamps vs screw clamps. ( I think they have a optional cold air attachment)

The Volant one i am not too sure but there was a guy trying to install one at a meet ,,, he was having a hard time there was alot of nuts and bolts its a multi piece heatshield and it was heavy .
have heard good and bad things about the Hennessy one...

Originally Posted by jrcmlc
Is there an overall preference or problem with/between the D3 unit and the KPE unit?

D3: $395 + shipping: http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/d3ctsvintake09

KPE: $299 + shipping: http://www.kpe-products.com/cart/ind...&sortorder=ASC

?

Joe
Both have had them and both have produced the same gains. People either love or hate d3.... lots of talk on the caddy forums about them.... I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

Originally Posted by hyespeeder
The KPE looks good from that picture but... it is not a K&N filter looks like
air raid ... and that injection molded plastic is going to have a turbulence issues because where the logo is its molded inward and not outward for a flush placement.. same goes for the pcv inlet the way the plastic is molded looks like it will have flow issues...
Really? So the stock one which was all ribbed and not smooth on the inside would create flow issues too....

Until someone gets dyno access and every single Intake I disagree with you. I have yet to see anyone CAI stand out. With a lower pulley, I have seen all brands pushing right at 550 rwhp via an automatic. There is a whole thread on the other forum about mods and the HP you put into it. I have also seen people stay with the stock and just remove the bottom of the air box and push the same results.

So.... IMO FWIW buy the CAI that you like the looks of because it all seems they are about the same. I have the Airaid and it fit together nicely, yes it was plastic.... but all the parts fit in clean...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Your right anything is better then the factor ribbed rubber..but if your going to upgrade might as well get something thats a full 4 inch tube with no bumps or ribs..
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Don't think it really matters really. I wish someone would do a dyno with them all so we could see if there really is any one better then the other....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

yea that would be awesome
Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Hey let us know what you end up getting and how you like it

Quick Reply: Is there an accepted BEST solution for CAI on the V2?