Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

c5z will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5z will not start

Last night I drove my car to a family dinner. Everything was fine driving it. When I went to leave the car would not start. The DIC had a message about "remove key and wait 10 seconds". I did that but it still would not start. It has power and everything electrical seems to be working. There is no clicking or other sounds when trying to start it. If anyone has run into this or have ideas please post up. Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

disconnect and connect battery and wait a few mins.. see if it works again.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Launching!

you need to get a column lock bypass from one of the performance shops, then have your tuner tune all those codes out and set your fuel cutoff to the max, I believe its around 256 mph so I don't think you'll have a problem with hitting it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Launching!

sorry I misread your post, if it didn't give you the service column lock message along with that one this isn't your fix.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did the engine turn-over at all ?

Could be the clutch safety switch on the floor under the clutch pedal, if you experienced the above symptom.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

happens to every C5 I've ever driven. My guess,..some sort of a VATS or key failure.... i dunno, making cocaine isn't good for that little chip(jokes)... however, its always started at a point or another with that message.

Ellsworth gave a good tip but, try taking it a step further....disconnect both battery terminals, take the cables that are now disconnected from BOTH terminals,..and place them bolt to bolt ..negative to positive...for 15-20 seconds....should reset any electrical faults, glitches in any model, just as long as It's not a actual class A hard mechanical failure.

-hope that's understandable, and possibly helps.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I had the problem with the vats ( pellet ohm output on key wasn't being recognized by ignition switch) Do the lights work & everything else electrical?, No cranking at all right?. Is the security light on or flashing? If so than do the relearn process. Put the key in the ignition switch & don't turn on, count slowly to 15. Now turn the key to the on position but don't crank it, count to 15 slowly again. Now turn key back to off position & leave it in place, count slowly to 15 than pull key, wait again with a slow 15 count & than repeat the process 3 -4 times. It should start than.
If thats the problem than either the key pellet went bad (try it with the spare key). If it still happenes than its most likely the ignition switch cylinder contacts being either worn out or making bad contacts,which can be fixed.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rambodog
I had the problem with the vats ( pellet ohm output on key wasn't being recognized by ignition switch) Do the lights work & everything else electrical?, No cranking at all right?. Is the security light on or flashing? If so than do the relearn process. Put the key in the ignition switch & don't turn on, count slowly to 15. Now turn the key to the on position but don't crank it, count to 15 slowly again. Now turn key back to off position & leave it in place, count slowly to 15 than pull key, wait again with a slow 15 count & than repeat the process 3 -4 times. It should start than.
If thats the problem than either the key pellet went bad (try it with the spare key). If it still happenes than its most likely the ignition switch cylinder contacts being either worn out or making bad contacts,which can be fixed.

....hmmm....never heard of that process, on any GM vehicle. sure you don't mean doing a thirty minute relearn? 10-10--10 key on, ten minutes, after 10 or when security light goes out, turn key to off,..wait 5-10 seconds,...turn back on to crank, then release key,...10min,...or until light is out,...repeat process a total of three times,..hence the "30min" learn procedure. thats how you program VATS....
Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Thats the way it would work on mine everytime. It became so problematic that I went ahead & did the vats bypass mod. Now it always starts.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmmm, well that's cool.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vats. I waited like 45 secs instead of the 10secs it tells you then started it and it started

Quick Reply: c5z will not start