General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is it the Starter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Is it the Starter???

Well I tried to turn on my car this morning and it wouldnt turn on. I noticed that my radio and everything electrical was working fine so I didnt think it was the battery, but I still decided to hook up the jumper cables but the car still didnt turn on. I know its not the VATS system on the car since I had to bypass the system before and my security light doesnt turn on when I try to turn it on. So do you guys think it might be my starter? Only thing that happens when I turn the key is I get a single click sound coming from somewhere around the motor. Any ideas will greatly be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

95% of times it is the starter relay.

There are two of these metal looking square relays in the fuse box closer to the headlights in the engine bay.

One of these is a starter relay and other is for the fans. You can swap these and see if the car starts.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The single click that your hearing is more than likely the starter solenoid. which is an indication that the relay is working. There are 2 wires attached to the starter. One larger than the other. Check for voltage on the ignition wire (smaller one) while someone tries to turn the key to the start position. If voltage is present than you need a new starter. You will probably notice the single click come from the starter as you are down there. Be careful because at any point can the starter engage and spin the engine so make sure you use jack stands and make sure the car will not move if for any reason it does start. If you wish to move the vehicle after you confirm a bad starter you can lightly hammer the body of the starter while holding the key to the crank position
Old 12-27-2010, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Forgot to mention that I a buddy of mine and me noticed that after H/C install about a month ago the cars voltage seemed to be affected, because when i would turn the car on and warm it up the cars gauge lights, radio lights, etc..would dim back and forth. You guys think these were signs of the starter going bad?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well....what you're describing is symptoms after the starter has already done its job and started the car. They may even be different problems altogether. Try the relay swap as suggested above and get back to us...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Well im guessing this lights and gauge issue was a previous issue before this starter issue. Ive seen low idle or something as simple as a bad battery cause a fluctuation is lights. Mine did the same when i cut the heat on or a/c or headlights etc. Mine was a battery issue. i think you have another issue aside from that. Do as i stated above and get back to us.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Well just want to say thanks a lot guys, this morning I was thinking I was not going to make it to work since I had no transportation, but I mess around with the starter relay and car turned on. I was short on time and it took me forever to open up the little box and try to take out the relay, since I was unsuccessful taking out the relay due to this cold weather and my fingers freazzing up, I just wiggled it around and pushed it down more, and the car with a little miracle turned on, it had a little sluggish start but it got going pretty good. I stopped by Autozone and bought me a replacement starter relay that I will be putting on later on tonight when I have more time to do it. Again thanks a lot guys. Nice job Ls1tech
Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

If it was a sluggish start, by bet is you will see this problem again really soon. Keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
If it was a sluggish start, by bet is you will see this problem again really soon. Keep us posted.
switched the relay and car has been turning on like if it was brand new again
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No problem man, glad it worked out. Hey, as our cars get older we need to help keep each other road worthy, lol..

Quick Reply: Is it the Starter???