Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch hyd. issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch hyd. issues

So I just installed my new clutch kit, a spec stage 2 w/ flywheel. I replaced the slave 2 months ago with an autozone one. I put the shim behind the slave. I pulled the master and performed the drill mod. I got a mityvac. Pulled all of the air out of the system. Tried to drive and with the clutch fully pushed, I cant put it into gear. No grinds the clutch just isnt disengaging It creeps foreward before it goes into gear. So what part could be faulty. I dont see any fluid escaping. I put the mityvac back on there and got more air. Air is getting into the system! I dont want to replace the slave and the master, I will but would rather have some more stuff to trouble shoot before I pull the trans back off!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

The most common issue with disengagement problems assuming the setup is correct and the master and slave are OK is air in the master. Even if you pull air out from the reservoir or the slave air can stay trapped in the master. Bench bleeding the master is absolutely necessary. Use a clear jar filled with clean brake fluid. Have an assistant depress the quick disconnect in the fluid against a ball or screw. Pump the master rod slowly until there are no more air bubbles coming out in the brake fluid. You will see very small bubbles that will never seem to stop that is normal. You will need to orient the master with the line at the highest point. I put the jar on a bench and hold the master against the bench below the jar. I have read the Mityvac threads and have a my own bleeder system as well as a Phoenix Injector. Bench bleeding the master beats all. If you do replace the hydraulics get a McLeod master and slave you will not regret it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

if I replace the master, it will be a tick all the way. I am just not sure I am ready to spend the money. You think my issue is there is still air in the system?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

If you still can't disengage after bleeding then you would have a reasonable alternative in replacing the master first. The after market masters can improve the travel. The stock slaves have still failed even when the masters are replaced with aftermarket units. As you mentioned you want to troubleshoot first. Air is the most likely culprit and can be VERY hard to get out if you follow the same approach that fails. I know how frustrating it is to repeat the same process with a Mityvac or worse yet try to get air to go down to the slave when it's trapped in the master, it doesn't work. Try the bench bleed, it can be done in an afternoon, removal,bleed, and reinstall. If the SPEC still has disengagement issues, and they can, you need to move more fluid and that's an aftermarket master. Not just a modified stock master a bigger bore master that moves more fluid.
If you are having an issue that you bleed and get good disengagement for several days and then it seems like you have air entering I personally believe that when the stock slaves have to push against the heavier pressure plate fingers air enters through the slave seals in the stock units due to the 'o' ring design. This is why I went to the McLeod slave in the first place and it cured the creeping in air problem right away. My theory I'm not a mechanical engineer just electrical. You get more positive disengagement and better control with the aftermarket slaves compared to the stock slaves.

Last edited by AtlantaRTA; 12-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I ma at work right now and cant trouble shoot anything. I have another possibility on what it could be tho. Would it have been posible to crack the master cylinder when bolting it it if I overtightened? I am not sure if that could allow the pedal to get somewhat firm but when it comes to moving the clutch a small bit of air is entering the system through the crack?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

OK so I think I found the problem! There was fluid around the quick disconnect. I wasnt sure if it was leaking down the clutch line or coming from the slave. I disconnected the line from the slave and bench bled it. I got it nice, I hooked up the mityvac and didnt get one bubble. I then hoocked it back up to the slave and bled the crap out of it again. Looked at the qd and some fluid again. I wiggled the line at the slave and some more fluid leaked out. I pulled the trans back out and there was alot of fluid on the slave itself. I am going to try and get my money back from advance because this is the 2nd slave that went bad in 6 months. I am never buying a slave from advance again. Is there anything difference from the gm and the ac delco part? Once I re install the new slave tomorrow if there is any leaks I will be getting the tick adj M.C.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I put in a new gm slave cylinder. Hooked everything back up. I gravity bled the slave after bench bleeding the master, again. I started the car back up and depressed the clutch and same thing. What is the deal. I have a new 2002 gm slave. I installed the shim. Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel and pressure plate. What could my issue be. I put it on jack stands and started it clutch goes into 1st but tires are spinning with clutch in. Can anyone give me the possibilities. My master is stock, but at idle it should push enough for a spec stage 2 clutch especially with the shim in! I am getting frustrated.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I replaced the master cylinder and re bled the system and it is the EXACT same. I have been reading through the forums and I have 1 of 2 problems. Either I over torqued the pp bolts or the clutch is messed up. Can anyone else think of other causes?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

I took the trans off today, removed the bellhousing and pp, the pp bolts were alot tighter than 22 ft lbs. Re installed the clutch and pp and properly torqued the pp this time.I stopped at dinner time with just the tq arm and drive shaft and xmember to install. Hopefully I can drive my car tomorrow. I will post up tomorrow if it works once I have finished putting it all back together.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:48 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hope you are successful tomorrow.

You should bleed it this way which includes "bench bleeding" the master in the firewall so you don't have to do so separately:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13837919-post3.html
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Not hyd issues!

At my wits end!!!!!!!!!! New master, new slave. Bled for hours. removed the trans again, removed pp and re installed tq'ing bolts to 22 ft lbs. Re installed everything. Bled again. SAME PROBLEM. What is going on????????????????? When I looked at the clutch when re installing the pp it was flat. the flywheel is flat. I dont understand what is going on or what the problem is. PLEASE HELP!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

I honestly do not think all the air is out of the system.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

That is not the case. The problem...SPEC CLUTCH IS GARBAGE AND DOESNT WORK. ALSO the company is garbage and will not refund or even pay for shipping back to there company to fix because that is there policy. And they wont refund a faulty clutch because it had been installed already.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Southern...I discussed this with you yesterday and am more than happy to assess the parts when they arrive and I will do my best to assist you as I have thus far. If there is a problem with the parts it will be repaired or replaced, as discussed in the paperwork provided with every clutch we ship. Should you have any further questions let me know and I will keep an eye out for the parts and let you know what we find when they arrive. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

did you try the old proven slave?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

I didn't replace the slave until the clutch didn't disengage. The only thing in the situation that was bad were one or all of the spec components. Now I have to pay to ship SPEC's problem back to them so I can wait for them to fix it and then send it back to me and I will have to install it again, and hope this time they supplied me with a good product. And if it is still garbage, I will have to probably pay to send it back to spec. They have a scam going. And they call it "Our Policy" it clearly states that we are not responsible for our actions and do not have to supply the paying consumers with a usable product. And further more we will not eat the shipping cost of the bad components, or compensate you for all of the parts you changed trying to troubleshoot the problem. SPEC=FAIL
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

as i future spec customer, i would think if it is their fault they should at least credit you for shipping
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I certainly hope you are not a future customer. It is SPEC's Policy not to pay for the shipping or refund the part even when they find it bad. Stay away from this customer.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southernculture
I didn't replace the slave until the clutch didn't disengage. The only thing in the situation that was bad were one or all of the spec components. Now I have to pay to ship SPEC's problem back to them so I can wait for them to fix it and then send it back to me and I will have to install it again, and hope this time they supplied me with a good product. And if it is still garbage, I will have to probably pay to send it back to spec. They have a scam going. And they call it "Our Policy" it clearly states that we are not responsible for our actions and do not have to supply the paying consumers with a usable product. And further more we will not eat the shipping cost of the bad components, or compensate you for all of the parts you changed trying to troubleshoot the problem. SPEC=FAIL
This is a great reason to buy a Monster clutch next. Thats what I'm gonna go with. I dont like Spec simply b/c sometimes you have to shim them as well. I dont want a clutch I have to modify after buyin to make work, I want take it out of the box & bolt it right up without any issues. In my 5yrs on this board I have seen enough Spec problems to make me avoid them like the plague.

But this is just my own opinion.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Jeremy Auvil, Dont you wanna pop in and say, "We have 25K satisfied LS customers" like you did on the phone. I was all set on buying the monster but decided that an unsprung clutch was gonna be too much for my application. WOW! that hind sight will get you every time. Every one I have talked to has said that SPEC is garbage. I am sure that I have steered at least 5 potential purchases away from them. And that is just in a few days. I am gonna keep running my mouth. Unless I get my $380 back I will not stop. I am going to talk to the RotoView, A base newspaper and get a 1 page add (free for me) and publish my issues that SPEC has caused and their UN willingness to correct the problem. I am debating on taking out ads in local newspapers as well. I have set up accounts on over 30 car forums. My goal is to constantly spread the TRUTH about spec. If they decide that they want to take care of an unhappy customer, I will spread that truth as well. But until that happens I will just have to stick to what the deal is right now. SPEC's policy makes it so the customer is always wrong and responsible!

Quick Reply: clutch hyd. issues