Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gauge l.e.d questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default gauge l.e.d questions

i have read many threads about changing the color of the gauges on my camaro but i have a few questions that werent answered.

1. i want to know if i can change just my gauges to blue BUT keep all the warning lights and turn signals and odometer the same colors?

2. if i were to change certain bulbs to a diff color would it affect the other colors? for example if i changed just the tach and speedo bulbs would the blue create a hotspot and mix with the stock bulbs color?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you can. Say if you wanted to swap the turn signals to LEDs, just buy green LEDs and just color code the rest of them to whatever your wanting to keep the same really. IDK what you would need to replace the turn signal indicators to LEDs since they flash on/off like the outside turn signals do. If you don't wanna replace them to LEDs, just take the cluster apart and locate the bulbs you wanna replace and figure out which ones you need versus don't need and transfer them to LEDs and order the ones you need/want.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Yeah you can. Say if you wanted to swap the turn signals to LEDs, just buy green LEDs and just color code the rest of them to whatever your wanting to keep the same really. IDK what you would need to replace the turn signal indicators to LEDs since they flash on/off like the outside turn signals do. If you don't wanna replace them to LEDs, just take the cluster apart and locate the bulbs you wanna replace and figure out which ones you need versus don't need and transfer them to LEDs and order the ones you need/want.
i was reading one of the write ups for it and there was a diagram showing what each bulb was for but i just wanna make sure if i get the leds i want i just want the warning lights and all the to remain like yellow and red and all tht and not have the blue leds for the gauges interfere with the other colors.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I gotcha. But yeah, you can do what your wanting to do. And if you leave the other bulbs and don't mess with them and leave them factory but change others over to LEDs, I don't think they will interfere with each other. I could be wrong but I've never heard of anyone saying that they do interfere with each other.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
i have read many threads about changing the color of the gauges on my camaro but i have a few questions that werent answered.

1. i want to know if i can change just my gauges to blue BUT keep all the warning lights and turn signals and odometer the same colors?

2. if i were to change certain bulbs to a diff color would it affect the other colors? for example if i changed just the tach and speedo bulbs would the blue create a hotspot and mix with the stock bulbs color?
Without doing some work, the short answer is no, you can't just change your gauges to blue. (and by work I mean to scrape off the "tint" from behind the overlay. It's just a big sticker that peels off)

Camaro's have a blue/green-ish "tint" behind the overlay and that is what determines the color in a stock gauge cluster (fyi, Pontiacs have a red "tint"). Your dummy gauges and the odometer wont change color unless you REALLY do some soldering work to them.

If you have custom overlay like I do, then you can change your gauge's color to anything you want.

Here's an example:

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

depends what color blue you want. with stock gauges if you want them a deep blue your red warning zones on the gauges will be more of a purple color and not light up well. if you go with a white led you will end up with a lighter blue for your gauges and still retain all the red zones. either way, no effect on your warning lights changing colors.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

long story short im looking to make my tach, speedometer, gas gauge, battery, and oil gauge blue, and retain every other gauges the color they normally come in, so if i understand correctly i will have to get a custom overlay in order to have it that way?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stock gauges/ cool white leds.

click to make bigger
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
stock gauges/ cool white leds.

click to make bigger
is that with the green tint still behind it?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

^^Blue
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stock gauges with the factory blue film behind them.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

I changed all my gauges to red LEDs and left the turn signals and everything else the same. And I have no blue/greenish tint to them. Its really easy to tell which light does what. After you pull the bulb out just look at what was behind it. The hardest part is just getting the stupid cluster out.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

And if you want just the gauge's to be blue, order the LEDs blue. I think it's 5 or 4 total. And NO overlay needed.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro34657
I changed all my gauges to red LEDs and left the turn signals and everything else the same. And I have no blue/greenish tint to them. Its really easy to tell which light does what. After you pull the bulb out just look at what was behind it. The hardest part is just getting the stupid cluster out.
And if you want just the gauge's to be blue, order the LEDs blue. I think it's 5 or 4 total. And NO overlay needed.
lol.... says the guy with 7 posts.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

One of the best first mods to do IMO.. I still get a kick outta seeing it knowing what it use to be like.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

It's alright bro. I was never an Internet type of person. That's funny though. Cause here I am saying that they guy doesn't need an overlay cause I did change my bulbs and I know it's not needed. I'm answering what was asked. And you talks down on it. I guess man..
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

And the overlays are nice though. My friend got one and put blue LEDs behind it, the lights just don't look bright enough to me. That's why I never did it.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

It's alright bro. I was never an Internet type of person. That's funny though. Cause here I am saying that they guy doesn't need an overlay cause I did change my bulbs and I know it's not needed. I'm answering what was asked. And you talks down on it. I guess man..
It's all good man, just ball bustin' ya a bit.

I've done WAY more overlays than probably anyone on here beside GM and Mark, haha.

Now, with all the TONS of stock overlays I've seen not one ever changed with just bulbs. It's a fact. Maybe you have a flawed overlay or possibly one that someone else already tweaked. But, I'm also not saying you NEED to buy an overlay either. It can be changed if you have the time and give the effort.

Either way, keep up the modding!

Last edited by Sommer86; 01-03-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: gauge l.e.d questions