Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CDT CL-61CV Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CDT CL-61CV Front Speakers

Anyone use these yet from Kee Audio, how do they sound? dislikes or likes?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a pair last weekend and I really like them. I think their pricepoint vs quality is right where I try to shoot for, good value but if you go any higher it turns into diminishing returns per dollar. I'd say on a 1-10 scale with the stock components being about 5.5, these CDTs would rate an 8, which is a pretty nice improvement (all subjective, of course, opinions will vary).

Be sure to put a small patch of "egg carton" foam or some other type of material behind the cones. I'm using the stock amp and a new Pioneer HU. It seemed like I had to adjust my fader forward about 20% for the CDTs to keep the hatch speakers from blending in too much.

Mounting the tweeters required a little bit of jerry-rigging but if you have the patience to tap the little metal enclosures with a small amount of threads (there's a hole with no threads that would be just perfect, you'll understand when you see it) it would have been a little more secure. ...then again, if you have a Camaro with coaxial mounts, not a concern anyways. With the new tweeters I can definitely hear effects I didn't notice before, like symbols, high-hats, etc... even tape hiss from old analog recorded (AAD) CDs.

Kee's prices are as low as anyone elses's on the internet for CDT stuff and his shipping was withing 1-2 days, so may as well help a sponsor rather than a box store. I'm going to install his CDT 10" sub and enclosure this weekend, then I'm done with audio on this thing "forever". Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

I've got them in my car with an Alpine HU and the stock Monsoon system. They are a vast improvement over stock, particularly the stock tweeters. It really is nice being able to turn it up a bit without fear of blowing stock speakers. They are 4-ohm, so volume might go down. I set my fade control to F1 on my Alpine to balance things out between the front speakers and the hatch speakers. They were fairly easy to install on my Formula but since you're in a Camaro, you might have a bit more difficult time.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Capricio
Just installed a pair last weekend and I really like them. I think their pricepoint vs quality is right where I try to shoot for, good value but if you go any higher it turns into diminishing returns per dollar. I'd say on a 1-10 scale with the stock components being about 5.5, these CDTs would rate an 8, which is a pretty nice improvement (all subjective, of course, opinions will vary).

Be sure to put a small patch of "egg carton" foam or some other type of material behind the cones. I'm using the stock amp and a new Pioneer HU. It seemed like I had to adjust my fader forward about 20% for the CDTs to keep the hatch speakers from blending in too much.

Mounting the tweeters required a little bit of jerry-rigging but if you have the patience to tap the little metal enclosures with a small amount of threads (there's a hole with no threads that would be just perfect, you'll understand when you see it) it would have been a little more secure. ...then again, if you have a Camaro with coaxial mounts, not a concern anyways. With the new tweeters I can definitely hear effects I didn't notice before, like symbols, high-hats, etc... even tape hiss from old analog recorded (AAD) CDs.

Kee's prices are as low as anyone elses's on the internet for CDT stuff and his shipping was withing 1-2 days, so may as well help a sponsor rather than a box store. I'm going to install his CDT 10" sub and enclosure this weekend, then I'm done with audio on this thing "forever". Good luck!
Originally Posted by ArkBird96
I've got them in my car with an Alpine HU and the stock Monsoon system. They are a vast improvement over stock, particularly the stock tweeters. It really is nice being able to turn it up a bit without fear of blowing stock speakers. They are 4-ohm, so volume might go down. I set my fade control to F1 on my Alpine to balance things out between the front speakers and the hatch speakers. They were fairly easy to install on my Formula but since you're in a Camaro, you might have a bit more difficult time.

i thought they were a direct replacement for camaros? with no issues? or is it the firebirds?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was confused by the statement about Camaros. I don't have one but there shouldn't be any issues mounting the 61CVs in a Camaro door. This model was singled out because it is capable of coaxial mounting a component setup. Just buy them, you'll be fine.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are perfect for the Camaro as well due to the ability to convert to a coaxial mount speaker (with supplied hardware) but still having the seperate wiring provisions. The Camaro has separate wires for the tweeter and midbass even though they are mounted together. The CL-61CV I use for these packages and by themselves wire up like this as well so it is excellent for use with the Camaro's unique wiring.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry guys! What I meant was that the camaros have coaxial speakers in the doors instead of the components in the pontiacs. I forgot that the CDTs can be mounted as both. You should be good to go with the CDTs and I would recommend them. Ian at Kee Audio will give you everything you need for them.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
They are perfect for the Camaro as well due to the ability to convert to a coaxial mount speaker (with supplied hardware) but still having the seperate wiring provisions. The Camaro has separate wires for the tweeter and midbass even though they are mounted together. The CL-61CV I use for these packages and by themselves wire up like this as well so it is excellent for use with the Camaro's unique wiring.
Originally Posted by ArkBird96
Sorry guys! What I meant was that the camaros have coaxial speakers in the doors instead of the components in the pontiacs. I forgot that the CDTs can be mounted as both. You should be good to go with the CDTs and I would recommend them. Ian at Kee Audio will give you everything you need for them.
ok thanks guys i will order soon then

Quick Reply: CDT CL-61CV Front Speakers