Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Where to install shocks and springs around west covina.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to install shocks and springs around west covina.

Any shop recommendation? the shop that I usually go to is closed for new years. I live in west covina, 91791.

Thanks

Sid.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CMS is about an hour away... Shocks/springs are easy as heck to do.. all you need is a set of torx bits, a pair of crescent wrenches, and a jack.. rent a strut compressor from vatozone, and presto! poor man's shock install
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep I would just throw them on myself, but I am the type of guy that likes to do as much work on my car as I can. A lot of shops are hackers now a days; for instance I had to have my car aligned by a shop and the shop ended ripping up my power steering boots. CMS is a good shop; they are not too far out.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1.. took my T/A for an alignment at a "reputable" shop after my prokit install, eibach reccomended specs in hand.. My first clue was that he was bitching and moaning that I wanted something other than stock. (John Beam machines, all you have to do is type in year make model and it gives you the green/red bars for the car, a retard could do it) Freaking guy set the camber and toe pretty close to perfect, but left the caster all screwed up. (4 degrees off.) I said, "Hey, man.. do you mind fixing the caster? (I have done alignments in the past at tech school, and i always do my best to get them perfect.. ) Guy says "It's a pretty good split.. it'll drive well.. I know full well that he doesnt have the proper f-body tool, but i tell him to please get it close. He knocks it to within 2 degrees (which is a LOT) and says he can't get it any closer. He pulls it off the rack and takes it up and down the street.. Parks it out front, says "Good to go" and walks back inside.. Cars always pull toward the side with the least caster, and sure enough the damn thing goes left. I have to use my left thumb to keep it straight on the freeway. Not to mention he removed the steering wheel holder, and the wheel's canted a bit to the right. I was so pissed with his attitude I didn't go back to get it fixed.

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 12-31-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMS is great. Not hard to DIY tho.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to do, Ive done enough of them that it only takes a few hours
Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
CMS is about an hour away... Shocks/springs are easy as heck to do.. all you need is a set of torx bits, a pair of crescent wrenches, and a jack.. rent a strut compressor from vatozone, and presto! poor man's shock install
Originally Posted by henry172
Yep I would just throw them on myself, but I am the type of guy that likes to do as much work on my car as I can. A lot of shops are hackers now a days; for instance I had to have my car aligned by a shop and the shop ended ripping up my power steering boots. CMS is a good shop; they are not too far out.
Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
+1.. took my T/A for an alignment at a "reputable" shop after my prokit install, eibach reccomended specs in hand.. My first clue was that he was bitching and moaning that I wanted something other than stock. (John Beam machines, all you have to do is type in year make model and it gives you the green/red bars for the car, a retard could do it) Freaking guy set the camber and toe pretty close to perfect, but left the caster all screwed up. (4 degrees off.) I said, "Hey, man.. do you mind fixing the caster? (I have done alignments in the past at tech school, and i always do my best to get them perfect.. ) Guy says "It's a pretty good split.. it'll drive well.. I know full well that he doesnt have the proper f-body tool, but i tell him to please get it close. He knocks it to within 2 degrees (which is a LOT) and says he can't get it any closer. He pulls it off the rack and takes it up and down the street.. Parks it out front, says "Good to go" and walks back inside.. Cars always pull toward the side with the least caster, and sure enough the damn thing goes left. I have to use my left thumb to keep it straight on the freeway. Not to mention he removed the steering wheel holder, and the wheel's canted a bit to the right. I was so pissed with his attitude I didn't go back to get it fixed.
Originally Posted by xxrillixx
CMS is great. Not hard to DIY tho.
Originally Posted by uLs1a
Easy to do, Ive done enough of them that it only takes a few hours
Yeah, CMS tuned my car and installed my SFC for me. But they are a little far, and I have neither the time nor the passion to install it myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I do, lol! I did my old camaro. Time consuming but not hard. Give it a try. Hardest part is starting, once you get going you should get motivated. I'd be carefull about taking it to any shop other than a shop that specializes in fbodies.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think its funny how easy prokit springs are to remove compared to the stockers. I jacked the back of my car up to weld up an exhaust hanger, and just to see if I could, yanked one out by hand.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Ill do them for you. lol I do all my own work. lol

Quick Reply: Where to install shocks and springs around west covina.