Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

First time rebuilders and seasoned vets, need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time rebuilders and seasoned vets, need some insight

Hey all. Picking up a 98 Camaro SS for pennies from a buddy this weekend. This is going to be a daily driver, no weekend trips to the strip. The problem is 5th and 6th gear are gone. It will shift in each gear but it just revs like neutral. Shifts fine and quiet in 1-4 and reverse. So, I'm going to pull it out and crack it open here in a week or two. Never worked on a tranny before but how hard could it be?

1 Question: What's the problem & how much for the parts?

What's the cost of a good rebuild kit and "worst case" 5th & 6th are sheared off?

2 Question: How long did it take you DIY guys to do a rebuild?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's sheared off the 5/6 cluster on the mainshaft. You'll need a rebuild kit, mainshaft, and cluster gear just to get back to stock. Looking at about $800+ in parts, plus labor if you don't DIY. If you read the many rebuild threads, follow the Tremec manual, have all the correct tools, an all the parts in hand, you should be able to do a first rebuild in a weekend.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Look at tick performance The have some good prices on transmissions.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

You probably need a 5-6 synchro assembly, and 5-6 shift fork too. You might even need 5th or 6th on the countershaft ext. You'll have to inspect the engagement teeth to make sure they have good points.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
It's sheared off the 5/6 cluster on the mainshaft. You'll need a rebuild kit, mainshaft, and cluster gear just to get back to stock. Looking at about $800+ in parts, plus labor if you don't DIY. If you read the many rebuild threads, follow the Tremec manual, have all the correct tools, an all the parts in hand, you should be able to do a first rebuild in a weekend.
Cool thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by southernculture
Look at tick performance The have some good prices on transmissions.
Are you trying to tell me it's going to be cheaper to buy a trans than rebuild this one?

Originally Posted by TDP
You probably need a 5-6 synchro assembly, and 5-6 shift fork too. You might even need 5th or 6th on the countershaft ext. You'll have to inspect the engagement teeth to make sure they have good points.
So what would the total cost involved be (estimated) for the rebuild kit and everything else you stated? Parts only. Thanks!

I drove this thing home today and the tranny felt smooth, no funny sounds or anything. I hope nothing else got damaged when 5 & 6 went out. Over 200,000 miles on the original drivetrain.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Hook
Are you trying to tell me it's going to be cheaper to buy a trans than rebuild this one?
Tick does rebuilds, and sells parts if im not mistaken. I had the same issue before. I didnt know exactly what happened, but when i had the case opened, there was metal everywhere. I ended up buying a Level V T56 from RPM Transmissions, and never looked back.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

The parts inside the trans cost a lot, but I wouldn't recommend buying a new/reman one. If you think about it, the reman'ed unit is just a rebuilt T56 just like yours would be after the rebuild.

So what would the total cost involved be (estimated) for the rebuild kit and everything else you stated? Parts only. Thanks!
5th and 6th are $120-140ea if you have to buy em new. The synchro asm is $90-110, and the fork is 20-30bucks. I'd highly recommend taking the trans apart and inspecting before you order anything.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I am just saying for 1200 bucks you would have piece of mind that the trans has gotten a complete overhaul. If you have trans problems already why not freshen up the entire thing not just fix part of it?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TDP
The parts inside the trans cost a lot, but I wouldn't recommend buying a new/reman one. If you think about it, the reman'ed unit is just a rebuilt T56 just like yours would be after the rebuild.

5th and 6th are $120-140ea if you have to buy em new. The synchro asm is $90-110, and the fork is 20-30bucks. I'd highly recommend taking the trans apart and inspecting before you order anything.
Ok, thanks for the info.

I am just saying for 1200 bucks you would have piece of mind that the trans has gotten a complete overhaul. If you have trans problems already why not freshen up the entire thing not just fix part of it?
Yes, I plan on a master rebuild kit and inspecting & fixing anything that needs replacing.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

a master kit is what 800 bucks or so? The rebuild is 1200 and you wont have to mess with it or buy any special tools. It is up to you of course and I dont work for a transmission shop or anything. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

a master kit is what 800 bucks or so? The rebuild is 1200 and you wont have to mess with it or buy any special tools. It is up to you of course and I dont work for a transmission shop or anything. Good luck which ever way you go.
Thanks for the input and I'll post pictures in a few weeks when I tear this sucker down.

Ya, I'm one of those guys that would rather spend $1500 on a $1200 rebuild just to learn how to do it myself. I always have room for some more tools in the tool box. I know most would say let a pro work on it but that's just not me.

So thanks for all the info guys. I just picked this car up yesterday and i'm hooked.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Ya, I'm one of those guys that would rather spend $1500 on a $1200 rebuild just to learn how to do it myself.
Couldn't agree more. Built not bought, thats the only way to go. If you google "t56 rebuild kit" the first link has some good prices on parts. Best of luck man, 5/6 are pretty nice gears lol...

-Will
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I can respect that! Good luck with it. Keep us posted on all the details.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wfritts911
Couldn't agree more. Built not bought, thats the only way to go. If you google "t56 rebuild kit" the first link has some good prices on parts. Best of luck man, 5/6 are pretty nice gears lol...

-Will
I can respect that! Good luck with it. Keep us posted on all the details.
Thanks guys. I will for sure do a Trans build thread on this with lots of pictures.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For reference, there were a bunch of links to other DIY and magazine articles on T56 rebuilds..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...anual-pdf.html
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
For reference, there were a bunch of links to other DIY and magazine articles on T56 rebuilds..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...anual-pdf.html
Hey thanks Mike! Good info.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

So, I've been thinking about this rebuild. The trans has almost 220,000 miles on it. Is this thing going to be so worn that it would be better for me to buy an already rebuilt trans?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This
Originally Posted by TDP
I'd highly recommend taking the trans apart and inspecting before you order anything.
applies to this
So, I've been thinking about this rebuild. The trans has almost 220,000 miles on it. Is this thing going to be so worn that it would be better for me to buy an already rebuilt trans?
If everything works but 5-6? No.

I've seen extremely clean (but broken) ~150,000 units that "needed" nothing but a synchro and a gear.

Yours probably has trashed (read: gone) fork pads or completely broken fork tines on 5-6.

The svc manual says bearings don't need serviced if they pass visual / no damage. With 220,000 you'll want to check endplay regardless and probably do bearings unless selling the car soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd
This
applies to this
If everything works but 5-6? No.

I've seen extremely clean (but broken) ~150,000 units that "needed" nothing but a synchro and a gear.

Yours probably has trashed (read: gone) fork pads or completely broken fork tines on 5-6.

The svc manual says bearings don't need serviced if they pass visual / no damage. With 220,000 you'll want to check endplay regardless and probably do bearings unless selling the car soon.
Will do. I'll just tear it apart. It is smooth as can be in all gears with no noise that I can tell (only drove it once for about 5 miles to get it home) The PO never raced it.

Quick Reply: First time rebuilders and seasoned vets, need some insight