LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So that EVAP line...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So that EVAP line...

So I just remembered that that EVAP line where it enters the vehicle from the driver side with the fuels lines is...um....sealed off kind off....And what Im reading its supposed to go into this

Is this hurting the vehicle in some sort or what????
Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

the evap canstier is what takes the fuel gases out of the engine bay and routes it down back to a canstier..is it bad, ummm up to you if you can deal with it
Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

well its currently got a bolt and clamp just hanging there....I mean does it HURT the car, cause some sort of malfunction...anything?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old93camaro
the evap canstier is what takes the fuel gases out of the engine bay and routes it down back to a canstier..is it bad, ummm up to you if you can deal with it
Ummmmm NO. The EVAP takes fumes from the tank and purges them into the TB to burn them off. The EVAP system takes fumes from the tank and runs them thru the Charcoal Canister and as stated above purges them into the TB to be burned off in combustion. This keeps the tank from over pressurizing (even tho there is another purge/pressure valve mounted to the tank as well) and it's part of emissions. Typically what happens is you will throw an EVAP code as the charcoal canister fails and charcoal bits are pulled thru the Evap line and clog the solenoid throwing a code. You need to blow out the line and replace the canister and maybe the solenoid if you cannot get them out.

It doesn't hurt the car, you will just have a strong gas smell if it's not sealed off good as you will get the fumes from the tank into the engine bay. Lots of guys just leave it or remove the line from the charcoal canister that way it vents in the back of the car, but personally I say get it fixed and have the Evap system function the way it was designed. I think most people don't fix it as the canister is pretty expensive to replace.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Well everything is there I haven't touched it. Just where it enters the engine bay the hose is capped off. Can I just get a barbed fitting and a piece of hose to re-connect it to the evap solenoid, or do I have to replace the whole line? I don't (well didn't) have any codes or lights regarding the evap. Just a low oil light (sensor was broken and then capped off), and low coolant (sensor is garbage), that was it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can do that to fix it.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

okay excellent

Quick Reply: So that EVAP line...