Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vs re-worked wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New vs re-worked wiring harness

I know this has been talked about alot, but I can't decide what to do. I de-pinned the wires not used, but it still looks like crap. I also had a buddy, who half *** helped me hook most of the stuff up, again it still looks like ***. I have taken it back off and was palnning on taking it to waitforme performance or speartech.
I want something as close to plug and play as possible. Who has the closest thing to plug and play or should I get a new harness? Who makes a new harness that is plug and play?
Thanks for any input
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reworked my harness, then looked over it and felt like not using it. I didn't want to chase my tail looking for what wrong if issues came up.

I ended up getting a harness from PSI Conversion. I couldn't be happier - its all new wire, new connectors, and has a fuse/relay box. I didn't want to spend money on a harness but it is just so awesome. I was very happy with my purchase. Check out eBay for their listings.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad this thread came up cus I just purchased a 87 Notchback with Ls1 and some hill billy took a harness out of a trans am i believe and wires are EVERYWHERE so I want to swap the harness out...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just checked this site out here..

http://psiconversion.com/product-details.php?id=41

It all sounds chinese to me if someone could point me in the right direction here.. Im running a 01 vett block ls6 heads and intake... with a TH400 trans... Car has all aftermarket gauges, Autometer cobalts... If this helps could someone let me know what harness i should get...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speedy911
I reworked my harness, then looked over it and felt like not using it. I didn't want to chase my tail looking for what wrong if issues came up.

I ended up getting a harness from PSI Conversion. I couldn't be happier - its all new wire, new connectors, and has a fuse/relay box. I didn't want to spend money on a harness but it is just so awesome. I was very happy with my purchase. Check out eBay for their listings.
Thanks, I"ll check them out. I agree, I have put a bunch of time in it, but I don't want to use it.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zapp109
Just checked this site out here..

http://psiconversion.com/product-details.php?id=41

It all sounds chinese to me if someone could point me in the right direction here.. Im running a 01 vett block ls6 heads and intake... with a TH400 trans... Car has all aftermarket gauges, Autometer cobalts... If this helps could someone let me know what harness i should get...
New for almost the same price as re-worked. Looks good.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Call them up and they will clarify. I ordered a LS1/LS6 harness with the Truck MAF connector and 4l60e wiring just in case I ever want to put a electronic tranny. I have a 5.3 that I will be using LS1 style injectors.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default LS harness

You cant beat Speartech if you want plug and play, sent him my 2007 LS2 harness he re-did it taking out the VATS, secondary o2 sensors and EVAP, and added a MIL, very good instructions and all plugs clearly labeled only 4 wires to hook up and it started up on the first try and I havent had an issue in 2 years. I highly recommend them!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I'm getting ready to do this to put an LS1 in my CJ7 that I'm going to be running a th350 behind. the two things I have yet to buy the fuel system which I have picked out an the the wiring harness which I have the stock one and seems to be in great shape but not sure what I want to do. What all needs to be removed to run with just the front two O2 sensors and not much else?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing your own harness isn't hard, just have a pinout, label maker, a DVOM, a stand and take your time. Took me a few days of about an hours worth of work in the garage. Once you have everything labeled unwrap the harness, take out what you don't need, rewrap the harness and you're gold.

Money saved can go in the bank or put toward goodies for the ride.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
You cant beat Speartech if you want plug and play, sent him my 2007 LS2 harness he re-did it taking out the VATS, secondary o2 sensors and EVAP, and added a MIL, very good instructions and all plugs clearly labeled only 4 wires to hook up and it started up on the first try and I havent had an issue in 2 years. I highly recommend them!
Can you say how much it was? or Pm with the cost of it?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I perchased a PSI harness also. I was going to get mine redon, but for what the cost was I thought might as well get a new harness, and the old one could always be sold for a few dollars to help offset the new price.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a current performance harness (stock one re-done one) on one swap and I really liked how much attn to detail they used.
not sure if they are sponsors, sorry tech if they arent i'm not trying to get in trouble and my bad
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribing
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
I used a current performance harness (stock one re-done one) on one swap and I really liked how much attn to detail they used.
not sure if they are sponsors, sorry tech if they arent i'm not trying to get in trouble and my bad
I used them also, they did a great job.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

DIY harness here. How-to is posted repeatedly. Just do a search

Plug and play can be built, just know your swap car's wiring very well
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pocket
DIY harness here. How-to is posted repeatedly. Just do a search

Plug and play can be built, just know your swap car's wiring very well
Yeah, I have de-pinned everything, and had most of it hooked back up. It just looked like crap. The fuse block was a mess, and it seems like I should be able to do something better with all the powers and grounds. I think for me it will be worth it to have a new one or someone re work this one. I want this to look cleaner than it does now.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Can you say how much it was? or Pm with the cost of it?
Thanks
I got my harness back from speartech a few weeks ago. He charged $450 plus return shipping. Its well worth the cost IMO. I didn't care to review hours of wiring diagrams and learn what went where and blah blah blah. He made the harness very easy to install and connect.

All I need to do is connect one wire to a switch power source and one to the battery. Then is you choose, wire up an aftermarket speedo, tach, back up lights and, fuel pump. All of which have wires ready to connect coming off the harness. Of course then you need to connect any aftermarket gauges you have and then fire it up.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Yeah, I have de-pinned everything, and had most of it hooked back up. It just looked like crap. The fuse block was a mess, and it seems like I should be able to do something better with all the powers and grounds. I think for me it will be worth it to have a new one or someone re work this one. I want this to look cleaner than it does now.
Same thing with me. I redid mine but I didn't really like how it came out. I wanted a complete harness with a proper fuse/relay block. And no worries of an old wire being split or damaged somewhere in the harness.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I also went w/ a psi conversion harness. Didn't get to finish my swap yet, but it looks good. I ordered mine w/ the correct plugs on for my 4l80e.

Quick Reply: New vs re-worked wiring harness