Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

1970 Nova carbed LQ4 th400

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1970 Nova carbed LQ4 th400

New to the forum. I am currently building a 70 Nova. I found an LQ4 for cheap at the local junkyard. Has everything but the cam/crank sensors and 6 coil packs are missing. Motor came out of a 2500. Picked up a core th400 to go behind it. I am not very knowledgeable on this engine family though sbc are more my area. Lyod elliot is going to be grinding a custom cam for it and if money allows the heads as well if not i'll do them myself. I am currious how much lift and duration stock lifters will handle? I am probably going to have to upgrade them.

I would put a list of parts needed but apprently untill you have 50 posts or six months membership thats not allowed. I was wondering why i couldn't post in the classified section to buy or sell parts. But now i know. So if you would like to give make any information on resources available or problems you ran into with a similar project please let me know. All information and opinions welcome
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Stock lifters in my LT1 handled .567 lift no problem, I know you're looking more into the low 600 range, perhaps a LSX guy can enlighten us.

-Dustin-
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Default parts

Well that is one thing i need to get figured out. I also need to figure out the flow rate on the vic jr. intake manifolds for the 317 heads i have. Dont worry folks there gunna get shaved and ported along with some chamber work. I am curious what people are making with there carb setups for power. with a similar setup 750 cfm carb and 238 242 cam. LSA and amount of lift opinions and information is appreciated along with any ptv issues.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I am currently in the process of building an lq4/lq9 motor for my 68 firebird. Very good motor to start with as you have tons of options to go with. You can slap on a set of ls3 heads for very cheap for gobs of power.