Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 pushrods ate up+ oil in exhaust

Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 pushrods ate up+ oil in exhaust

I have a 2000 5.3 out of a junk yard with a 60mm precision turbo behind it in my 240sx, this weekend was the 1st time this motor has been ran, it is carbed with a blow through setup, I started it and it had 35-40psi oil pressure and all the lifter chattered from setting, all but 1 seem to quite down after running a few mins, I let it idle for 15+ mins, oil pressure stayed about the same, so I shut it off, next day started it back and same thing, it seemed to smoke a little, figured it was cleaning itself out. So I pulled the drivers valve cover and found a few pushrods with the ends ate off which was the lifter chatter, but then I found oil running out of my crossover pipe before the turbo, looks like its coming from the passenger side, I'm going to tear the motor down, but what's the possibilities of the oil in the exhaust?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not what I wanted to read when I am picking up a junk yard 2000 5.3 this week myself.... but I am going to be doing a cam swap, and rod bolts, so I will oil everything before its started...
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If the push rods are chewed something in the valvetrain isnt right. Too short of pushrods, possibly failed lifters (highly unlikely), possible insufficient rocker torque

Oil problem, pull the plugs. If they're nasty, its got either bad valve seals or bad rings. The latter would have excessive blow-by with the turbo. If the plugs look fine then its the turbo seals
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor didn't have any blow by, so I'm sure it doesn't have holes in the pistons and I don't think it has bad rings, I'm almost positive its all head/valvetrane related, I haven't pulled a plug yet, but from the oil in the exhaust before the turbo tells me it motor related not turbo, + my turbo I just had it running on my last motor with no issues + it has about 6 track passes since rebuilt from precision. I'm thinking the valve seals are prob bad and lifters too, it was a higher mileage motor, like 140k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 pushrods ate up+ oil in exhaust