Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heavier pistons/ problem with balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default heavier pistons/ problem with balance

Hello cam crazy poeple . I am rebuilding a 5.3 and the Speed-Pro pistons and pins are weighing 12 grams more than stock pistons and pins . And the ARP rod bolts are roughly 5 grams/ 2 bolts . So each piston, pin, rod, cap, bolts assembly weighs 17 grams more than stock . Will this be a problem ? If so , what can I do , buy a LS1 crank ? Thanx for You're input .
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extra weight of the bolts should not be a problem as they are on the big end of the rod and don't disturb the balance as much.
The pistons weight is more important.
Did you weigh a complete package? Piston/rings/pin/locks-both new and old
If you can make the complete piston package weigh close to the old one I wouldn't worry about balancing. It is common to see balancing marks on the undersides of piston domes. The most common mark is the beginning of a drill hole. Use a large (3/8) drill and just "kiss" the piston in a thick spot on the bottom of the crown. It is common to see multiple marks and then a couple of smaller marks as the person doing the balancing uses smaller drills when they are getting closer to their target weight.
12 grams is close enough to balance by this method in my book. 50 grams is not although I remember a thread on my Z car site where someone removed nearly 80 grams per piston from a complete set (for lightening)
Personally I would NOT make the pistons lighter than the stock one to compensate for the extra rod bolt weight.
Match pistons to stock weight and assemble. You should be good.
Most production engines are balanced to a "range" and not a specific weight.
It is more common to see factory stuff "overbalanced" IE the balance pads on the crank throw are "heavier" than the pistons/rods they are balancing.
Adding a small amount of weight is usually less detrimental than removing weight.
Many machine shops would use pistons that much heavier and never mention balancing.
Your close already.
Good luck
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hello , this is good info , and I do appreciate the help , thank You
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anytime the weight of a rotating assembly is different from before I would recommend rebalancing. It may cost a little extra money but when that assembly is turning at 6800rpm you don't want it to be vibrating because you didn't spend the extra $200 to get it balanced.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Anytime the weight of a rotating assembly is different from before I would recommend rebalancing. It may cost a little extra money but when that assembly is turning at 6800rpm you don't want it to be vibrating because you didn't spend the extra $200 to get it balanced.
Yes +1, take your whole rotating assembly to a machine shop. That would include: flywheel, crank, rods, and pistons. The machinist will know what to do.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Since the big end is typically counted twice when calculating the bobweight, the rod bolts weight are significant since you're looking at about a 10g difference.

The stock balancing also isn't that great to begin with, so I wouldn't hesitate to have a set up like yours balanced before it goes together. When you do take it to get balanced, all they'll need is the rotating assembly. The LSx engines are internally balanced so the flywheel and dampener are not required.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys , thanx for all You're good info . I do appreciate the help . I will get the rotat *** over to my machinist today . Thanx

Quick Reply: heavier pistons/ problem with balance