Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about sound deadener install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about sound deadener install

For those of you that installed sound deadener in your cars, did you leave backing on the carpet when you reinstalled everything? I'm thinking of taking it out because of water issues that I've had.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
For those of you that installed sound deadener in your cars, did you leave backing on the carpet when you reinstalled everything? I'm thinking of taking it out because of water issues that I've had.

Thanks.
Do you mean the jute? If so yes I left mine as it provides even better sound protection and heat for me. But that being said if you have every had that stuff soaked it's real hard to get it completely dried out and it can mildew pretty easily. Check it out first and if it's fine just reinstall it along with the carpet.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Do you mean the jute? If so yes I left mine as it provides even better sound protection and heat for me. But that being said if you have every had that stuff soaked it's real hard to get it completely dried out and it can mildew pretty easily. Check it out first and if it's fine just reinstall it along with the carpet.
Yeah it's the jute I'm concerned about. I know its probably a big pain in the *** but is there anywhere that sells just the jute? I think I want to keep it in there.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Yeah it's the jute I'm concerned about. I know its probably a big pain in the *** but is there anywhere that sells just the jute? I think I want to keep it in there.
You can pretty much get it at any auto upholstery place (just call one and see if they'll sell you some). Just by several yards of it and cut it out with your current pieces as templates. I personally like it in there as it adds as stated above and also makes the carpet softer.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another option is to go to LowDepot and get some carpet padding - they sell a 10x10ft roll for $19
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VinR1
another option is to go to LowDepot and get some carpet padding - they sell a 10x10ft roll for $19
May have to look into this as an option. I'm trying to see if my insurance would cover this problem. They said they may although it could be considered a wear and tear issue .
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

I kept mine in place but dried it out in the sun before putting it back.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbaksi
I kept mine in place but dried it out in the sun before putting it back.
As did I. A lot of people were saying that the jute would not dry out. However, I found that after two to three days in the sun with some good winds dried it out really well. There are a couple discolored pieces that I will replace, but I don't think there will be any problem with smell.

Quick Reply: Question about sound deadener install