Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Thinking of buying these heads. How does the port work look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying these heads. How does the port work look?

Well I have a chance to possibly pick up these heads. They supposedly have been professionally ported. If you look at these pics do they seem allright to you. Im especially worried about the 1st. pic. where you can see some burs hanging off of the valve bowl. I asked the seller about the casting number and other info on the heads and here is what I was told. Im alittle leary of them, just seeing what you guys think.

Here is the question I asked the seller. "Can you give me the casting number on the heads please, and is there any damage to the heads, and who ported them. Thanks".

Here is what he posted..

well these are aftermarket heads. there is no damage
to them i didnt even use them. these cost around
2600 on there website.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Well,
they have been professionally ported (not too many amateurs have access to CNC machine). What they don't have is valve guides or a valve job, or any associated hardware. If you don't know that means, than you would probably be best served by looking for a complete set of heads. There is still going to be another 1-2k in getting the rest of the valvetrain up to snuff. These are either LS7 or C5R style, which require aftermarket offset rockers (stock one's may fit but I doubt it) Good valves, good springs, good retainers, an even better valve job. If I had to guess, I would say they are allpro's, which is a bad *** head.

Last edited by 96 Comp T/A; 01-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Well,
they have been professionally ported (not too many amateurs have access to CNC machine). What they don't have is a valve guides or a valve job. If you don't know that means, than you would probably be best served by looking for a complete set of heads. If I had to guess, I would say they are allpro's, which is a bad *** head.

Yeah I know I would need valveguides,seals,valves. And some new patriot springs,intake rockers and stands to make them work on my LS2. I just wasn't sure by the pics about the heads. Thanks for the help. I will try to get out of him, what company heads these are...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask for more info.
There has to some numbers somewhere.
I would find out whose castings they are.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

With the size of that intake seat and accompanying valve size, I think you are going to have a tough time controlling valve motion with a set of ham & egg'er springs. Make no mistake, those look to be race only type pieces there, and are going to require the right parts to make it work. What are you going to do for an intake? I don't think you are going to find any generally available intakes to fit them with that runner height. Probably looking at a sheetmetal deal.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

The other thing I would consider is if the heads will work on a small bore or not. If you start putting 2.1x valves in that thing, you are going to compromise flow at the very least or have mechanical interference with the cylinder wall.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

What he said....
You are still looking at quite a Fe Benjamin's to finish those heads to use on anything.
I am not saying they are not worth what he is asking, but you could very, very easily end up with 4k++ in those heads.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In an ideal world, they would have been ported AFTER the guides were installed, so as not to disturb flow in the port. Like they said though, it'll quite a bit more $$ to get them going, and since you don't even know what they are, I'd shy away and get something else.

They look like canted valve heads!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 01-04-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There looks to be a name machined in the end of the one standing up?

Last edited by 68 SS; 01-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Launching!

EVERY TIME, i run into something that seems like an awesome deal, "just needs a few things to complete" it turns into $$$$ real fast - my whole life not just with cars.

There is a REASON they are being sold NOW, and not after they are complete. Think about it....

Go with TEA, AI, PRC, WCCH....

They sell stuff ready to bolt on.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. I love this site. I could buy the heads for around 400.00 bucks, I still might get them if I can make alittle money on them or trade them for a complete set of 821/823 heads. I planned on running a ls3 intake on it, but it sounds like too much head for my stock bottom LS2. Here are the flow numbers on them.

Aftermarket -bare heads-
fully cnc ported intakes and exhaust

360 @ .675 intake
242 @ .700 exhaust

255 intake runner, 65cc

Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I found out about the heads from Ed at flow tech inductions.

They are a set of early ETP heads. Could be a forerunner to the canted/splayed valve head judging by the valve centerlines.

Probably worth the price of aluminum since nothing is available for them any more. Rockers would be a custom shaft system and the intake would be a MAST/PIS or Marcella piece.

So... there's about $10K to get them to work.

If anybody's interested in them, here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep I was JUST going to post, those are def ETP's. haha you beat me!

Dont you hate when people just wont tell you they brand on the product? Obviously there is a big ETP on the side of the head and the seller doesnt see that or are they just blind? Peoples these days...

Last edited by Fb0dy0nly; 01-05-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
If I had to guess, I would say they are allpro's, which is a bad *** head.
Allpros have a nice big BLACK stamp on each side of the head that says ALL PRO so there is no way they would be those. If they were, you would know as people usually dont just own a set of allpros and dont know they do...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
yep I was JUST going to post, those are def ETP's. haha you beat me!

Dont you hate when people just wont tell you they brand on the product? Obviously there is a big ETP on the side of the head and the seller doesnt see that or are they just blind? Peoples these days...
Yeah I asked him twice now, and he wouldn't give me a casting number or the brand of heads. He just wanted to know what they would be going on. He's being shady about them. Im just going to find ma a complete set of 821/823's.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying these heads. How does the port work look?