Innocent man wrongfully jailed for 31 years. Just got released July 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Innocent man wrongfully jailed for 31 years. Just got released July 2010

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/...neration_texas

Dupree was charged in 1979 with raping and robbing a 26-year-old woman. He was sentenced a year later to 75 years in prison for aggravated robbery. He was never tried on the rape charge.

According to court documents, the woman and her male companion stopped at a Dallas liquor store in November 1979 to buy cigarettes and use a payphone. As they returned to their car, two men, at least one of whom was armed, forced their way into the vehicle and ordered them to drive. They also demanded money from the two victims.

The men eventually ordered the car to the side of the road and forced the male driver out of the car. The woman attempted to flee but was pulled back inside.

The perpetrators drove the woman to a nearby park, where they raped her at gunpoint. They debated killing her but eventually let her live, keeping her rabbit-fur coat and her driver's license and warning her they would kill her if she reported the assault to police. The victim ran to the nearest highway and collapsed unconscious by the side of the road, where she was discovered.

Dupree and Massingill were arrested in December because they looked similar to two suspects being sought in another sexual assault and robbery. The 26-year-old woman picked both men out of a photo array, but her male companion did not identify either defendant in the same photo array.

Dupree was convicted and spent the next three decades appealing. The Court of Criminal Appeals turned him down three times.

Wow.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's pretty terrible, I think they get a good bit of money for every year they were incarcerated though, so that should help him move on with his life. I imagine he will turn around and sue for even more money, I know I would. There is a case in Texas right now about the death penalty due to the fact that people who were innocent were actually executed. I support the death penalty and harsh prison times for the crimes committed that warrant those punishments, so long as it's the right person. Imagine being locked up for that long and knowing your innocent but very one else thinks other wise, that's gotta suck.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that happened here in Burleson Co too
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/A...105910108.html

apparently the DA withheld evidence/statements combined with a lazy public defender and you have an innocent man in prison over half of his life
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone gets up in arms about these cases, but in this case either Dupree or Massingil were convicted in another armed robbery as well. They may not have been guilty of this, but they were guilty of something.
At some point they have to take responsibility for putting themselves in a position where this could happen to them. If they were at the library studying, they probably wouldn't have been picked up and charged with armed robbery and rape.

I'm just sayin'...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
That's pretty terrible, I think they get a good bit of money for every year they were incarcerated though, so that should help him move on with his life. I imagine he will turn around and sue for even more money, I know I would. There is a case in Texas right now about the death penalty due to the fact that people who were innocent were actually executed. I support the death penalty and harsh prison times for the crimes committed that warrant those punishments, so long as it's the right person. Imagine being locked up for that long and knowing your innocent but very one else thinks other wise, that's gotta suck.
He will get 2.4 million
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Let's just drop a certain number of them off on an island with a natural wildlife population conducive to their survival. That will save us a lot of money.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

As bad as it is to say, he'd be better off staying in prison. After being in there for 31 years, there's no way he will be a normal member of society. Not without YEARS of rehab anyways. He has a prisoner mindset, and he will continue to have it for a very long time.