Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals - muffler selection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals - muffler selection?

I plan on putting True Duals on the Camaro pretty soon ( tax return)

I don't want to put bullets on, from what I've heard in clips and in person they are just loud, don't have much of a tone to them

I've got it pretty much narrowed down to either Sweet Thunder Chambered Mufflers or 1 Chamber Flowmasters

How do these compare? I do not care about clearance or cost, as both of those can be fixed. I've got MAC headers and a Hotcam, please keep that in mind. How would one sound vs the other? Should I place bullets in front of either of the two, to get rid of rasp? Or will having True Duals get rid of the rasp? I would like as minimal rasp as humanly possible!

Also, are these the right Flowmasters? The first one on the list (I want design D, by the way)

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...10&prmenbr=361

Where else can I buy those Flowmasters? Jeg's is always more expensive I thought

Thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The duals, X-pipe, 1 chambered Flows is about the best sounding setup there is.
I'm running 3" X-pipe with Flowtech Afterburners. It's a unique sound. Check out the 1st post sticky on this forum for the sound clips.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

single chambered flows sound great

i would check out the borla XR-1's as well, which are my fav
Old 02-09-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Strahley
I plan on putting True Duals on the Camaro pretty soon ( tax return)

I don't want to put bullets on, from what I've heard in clips and in person they are just loud, don't have much of a tone to them

I've got it pretty much narrowed down to either Sweet Thunder Chambered Mufflers or 1 Chamber Flowmasters

How do these compare? I do not care about clearance or cost, as both of those can be fixed. I've got MAC headers and a Hotcam, please keep that in mind. How would one sound vs the other? Should I place bullets in front of either of the two, to get rid of rasp? Or will having True Duals get rid of the rasp? I would like as minimal rasp as humanly possible!

Also, are these the right Flowmasters? The first one on the list (I want design D, by the way)

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...10&prmenbr=361

Where else can I buy those Flowmasters? Jeg's is always more expensive I thought

Thanks
I have the Hotcam, Macs and true duals with bullets you will go deaf! I am thinking about running them under the axle and out the back to help with the drone. At idle it sounds great anything more than idle break out the ear plugs...........
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve98Z
I have the Hotcam, Macs and true duals with bullets you will go deaf! I am thinking about running them under the axle and out the back to help with the drone. At idle it sounds great anything more than idle break out the ear plugs...........
Heh, I get that with the cutout open. But mine being an off-road Y without cats sounds like absolute crap for anything under ~3000 RPMs. Of course above that, it's insanley loud, so sometimes it's a lose-lose situation. My exhaust when it's going through the Hooker Aero Chamber (which is almost always, I can't stand how crappy it sounds through the cutout) is way too quiet for me, so I figured True Duals would be my answer. Steve, why not try a different muffler setup? Is it hard to run them out the back under the axle? Any clearance issues? I would rather run them out the back to have the dual pipes sticking out the back, that's one thing I miss with this muffler as it's a single in/out Is that a possibility? Do you just run straight pipes from the mufflers straight back and out? I guess that would be a pretty much all custom exhaust job if I did it like that. Also if I ran them under the axle, would that have any clearance issues for a 12 bolt or 9 inch rear end? I'm going to have to have one or the other, my 10 bolt will not be able to hold out much longer

Jamie33, what kind of sound do they produce? They better sound really good for ~150 bucks a piece
Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

I have the flo-pro twister bullets and they are AWESOME! They are not too loud and rumble like hell...nothing like most of the other bullets out there. They are pretty quiet under 2500 rpm's but open up when you mash it. Just my .02
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoKSS
I have the flo-pro twister bullets and they are AWESOME! They are not too loud and rumble like hell...nothing like most of the other bullets out there. They are pretty quiet under 2500 rpm's but open up when you mash it. Just my .02
Wow, you must already be deaf then I cant believe the difference in sound/tone with my new setup (Pacesetters w/same setup you have) verses when I had the MACs and my old true dual setup. I wish I had a digital video camera so I could let everyone hear what it sounds like. I can only imagine what it will sound like once I finally put a cam in the car
Old 02-09-2004, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

I also have flo-pros with my duals and will be going catless soon. I'll let you all know how it sounds. So far it is very deep. I had a guy with an LT1 running macs and GMMG w/no cats compliment me on how deep it sounded, and you know how those LT1's sound...
Old 02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Strahley
Jamie33, what kind of sound do they produce? They better sound really good for ~150 bucks a piece

the best way is to hear them in person, but they just sound very clean to me.
i guess kinda more exotic if that describes it.

i dunno i like em, but they are pricey
Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Mine are like the flo-pros, their fine under 2500rpm. When you rump on it.....
Old 02-10-2004, 05:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'm also looking at true duals and don't want my car to be ear bleeding loud. How loud would Pacesetter LTstrue duals with 12" dynomax mufflers?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I just bought and installed the X-Pipe from Lane's with (2) Flo-Pro Twisters that dump before the axle. I let someone drive my car and stood outside for a few passes, and it sounds unbelievable! Inside on the other hand, for me that is, is too loud. At idle it is nice and deep, but around town shifting is just too loud. Great setup though. I will be going UNDER the axle with 3" pipe to try to quiet it down a little. Definite HP gain with the X-Pipe. No rasp. As soon as I figure out how to post a damn pic or movie I will.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

some damn good responsese here. all depends on how loud you want it all the time. i personally love the way single chamber flows sound and they fit up pretty good too. i hate the way dual bullets sound. just gets real old, esp with Mac midlengths. so will you make up your mind already??
Old 02-10-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Carrotop79
I just bought and installed the X-Pipe from Lane's with (2) Flo-Pro Twisters that dump before the axle. I let someone drive my car and stood outside for a few passes, and it sounds unbelievable! Inside on the other hand, for me that is, is too loud. At idle it is nice and deep, but around town shifting is just too loud. Great setup though. I will be going UNDER the axle with 3" pipe to try to quiet it down a little. Definite HP gain with the X-Pipe. No rasp. As soon as I figure out how to post a damn pic or movie I will.
Does it look something like this:
Attached Thumbnails True Duals - muffler selection?-dualsetup.jpg  
Old 02-10-2004, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99SeanWS6
I'm also looking at true duals and don't want my car to be ear bleeding loud. How loud would Pacesetter LTstrue duals with 12" dynomax mufflers?
I've built a few sets and have an ORH w/ dynomax 12" bullets now and all I can say is it's deep, throaty and mean as hell .I don't have any drone and it's actually pretty tame until you go WOT........then however, it's downright unholy!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies guys. Gator, you know I'm slow, give me a break

I'm going to go with the Sweet Thunders. I would like to run them out the back, how hard would it be to go under the axle? I was thinking of running the MACs into either an X or H pipe, then run straight pipes back, then have the Sweet Thunders (they will be 18" long) welded onto some 2.5" in 4" out chrome pipes. Hope 4" won't be TOO big But I guess I could always get 3" or 3.5" That's one thing I miss about the exhaust that's on there now, it's just a single pipe dumping behind the bumper, but you can see it and it's not exactly pretty I'd rather have it shoot out the back anyways, so it won't dump under the car and sort of muffle the sound

Would it really matter where the Sweet Thunder is located, right after the X/H pipe or all the way at the back? Would there be much of a performance difference if I went all the way out the back? And last, would straight pipes do fine if I'm going under the axle, or will I need some mandrel bends anyway? I figured I could clamp them together near the axle, so when I get the 12 bolt I can take the exhaust off, then put it back on after the 12 bolt is on, rather than having to cut it and reweld it
Old 02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

CamaroCain, yes that looks mine, give or take a few things. I have turn downs where yours are straight dumped. But essentially the same thing. do you all know of anyone with under axle pics or setup?
THanks
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Sweet Thunder set-up sounds pretty good from a clip I heard, but these mufflers are very restrictive. Just a heads up.
Dave
Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

ratio411, what kind of car do you drive? I live about 15 minutes south of owatonna. Do you know Ben Nelson?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to be mean but try searching, this has been posted a few times.

This thread has a lot of information, no less than 3 seprate measured test on the first page, about real case mufflers for true duals.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ler+comparison