LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Speakers Rattling Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers Rattling Door Panels

Is anyone else having trouble with this? When the bass hits it rattles the door panel and trim. Is there a cheaper way to fix this than dynamat? I've went back and took the panel off, made sure the speaker assembly was tight, retightened all the screws in the door panel, to no avail.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Launching!

I used to have this problem when I put in new speakers.
What was happening for me, was when the speaker excurted it would hit the door skin.

I had to put a speaker grill in between the speaker and door skin, and problem solved.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DieselPump
I used to have this problem when I put in new speakers.
What was happening for me, was when the speaker excurted it would hit the door skin.

I had to put a speaker grill in between the speaker and door skin, and problem solved.
Door skin being the door panel or the inner, metal skin that the speaker assembly mounts to?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

hes talking about the door panel hence putting a speaker grill on the speaker to fix the issue. if its the door panel rattling get some thin weather stripping and run it around where the door panel meets the metal on the door and see if that helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

So I should put the speaker grill that came with the speaker on it, underneath the factory grill?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
So I should put the speaker grill that came with the speaker on it, underneath the factory grill?
That's what I did.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm having this issue to with stock speakers. Generally only happens when it's cold.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drivers door panel does this too...but the panel also creeks when ever you touch it.

The drivers window also rattles when it is in any position except 100% up/down.

How hard is it to take the door panel off??
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does this to,but with the stock speakers.Bass is 1/2 way down mid bass is set in the middle and the high's are "all the way turned up".Mine is a non-Bose system to,I've been reading up on Kee audio,and for the price of the set up's aren't to bad either.

Hey Travis did you ever figure out the problem with the speakers you put in,did you splice into the wire harness or use the stock speaker wires?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
How hard is it to take the door panel off??
Pop off the plastic piece where the handle is to pull the door shut and there's two bolts in there, then it's just held on by a bunch of clips.

Pretty straight forward, just be easy when pulling it off as to not break the clips.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foam Tape
Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sadden
Foam Tape
^^^ yup. I used it on my sunroof trim too. No problems since.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well I pulled the Door Panel off and the rattle I was hearing was the speaker...It had 2 tears coming from the area that the screws attached. That explains the sudden onset of the "rattle". Can anyone suggest a good component system to replace the stock speakers? I'm looking for something with good bass, they're going to be powered by a 50x4 RMS amp.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Well I pulled the Door Panel off and the rattle I was hearing was the speaker...It had 2 tears coming from the area that the screws attached. That explains the sudden onset of the "rattle". Can anyone suggest a good component system to replace the stock speakers? I'm looking for something with good bass, they're going to be powered by a 50x4 RMS amp.
How much are you looking to spend? Im about to upgrade speakers so im researching all the options. Also hows the mounting depth in the doors? the speakers i want i dont think will fit.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Launching!

mine do this too when the car is really cold, i still need to finish up and make pretty some of the other wiring down the road so ill be remedying this when i finish everything up ...

right now i just punch the door panel ...

but foam tape seems like a much better idea

and as far as speakers, i cant say enough good things about the Hertz components and 6x9's that are in my car ... and for the price they are even better ... but i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend ... because they do lack some low end bass ... but that 12 inch thing in my trunk takes care of that
Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrJesus616
and as far as speakers, i cant say enough good things about the Hertz components and 6x9's that are in my car ... and for the price they are even better ... but i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend ... because they do lack some low end bass ... but that 12 inch thing in my trunk takes care of that
I'll second Hertz!

I have the hertz 2way mille component set in my gxp, and they're great. They have awesome midbass too.

The Hi-Energy set is great too
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DieselPump
I'll second Hertz!

I have the hertz 2way mille component set in my gxp, and they're great. They have awesome midbass too.

The Hi-Energy set is great too
man i wish i could afford the mille's ... i have Ev-165L's up front ... ECX-690's in the back and an ES-300 D in the trunk in a 1.2 cuft ported box at 350 watts ... the speakers are only powered by the Kenwood headunit, but i have to say ... it was well worth the money, and i actually get some trunk flex going with those hip-hop/ rap songs the kids like ... lol ... i mostly listen to rock/ alternative but yelawolf/ kid cudi/ big boi/ kidz in the hall ... occasionally get played ...

sure i would love to a steve meade setup in my car, but i dont have that kind of money laying around ... BILLS SUCK
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrJesus616
man i wish i could afford the mille's ... i have Ev-165L's up front ... ECX-690's in the back and an ES-300 D in the trunk in a 1.2 cuft ported box at 350 watts ... the speakers are only powered by the Kenwood headunit, but i have to say ... it was well worth the money, and i actually get some trunk flex going with those hip-hop/ rap songs the kids like ... lol ... i mostly listen to rock/ alternative but yelawolf/ kid cudi/ big boi/ kidz in the hall ... occasionally get played ...

sure i would love to a steve meade setup in my car, but i dont have that kind of money laying around ... BILLS SUCK
did you have any fitment issues with those speakers. im concerned about the mounting depth in the doors. i thought i read somewhere theres only 2.5" of room , but those Hertz are deeper then that.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Hate to bring this thread back, but where do you guys suggest the foam tape be used exactly? I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and add the speaker grill. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the darn this off AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Your spending Cam upgrade Money, man. Bump Bump just adds weight. Then again so does four doors

Quick Reply: Speakers Rattling Door Panels