Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(VID) Misfire w/o DTC .... **Confused**

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question (VID) Misfire w/o DTC .... **Confused**

Sorry for the double post Mods! ... NO ONE was helping in the General Maintenance Section.

So, just like the tittle says: Misfire w/o DTC... ???
.......WHY?
I rely on my "handheld" to explain what's going on. So I become very flustered when something like this happens. I've never understood this. I've heard, time and time again that SOMETIMES you can have a misfire w/o the P0300 DTC pop'n up.

... Oh, and take a peek at the Vid. I just wanna make sure that the likely culprit are the plugs. If not, tell me what you think. This just happened 20 minutes ago so I haven't done too much detective work.

BTW, at the beginning of the Vid I mention that she won't start. Ignore that. Don't know why I said that!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1Zq...e_gdata_player
Not sure if you can tell but after I backed her out of my garage, she was stumbling pretty bad. Almost felt like I wasn't gonna be able to pull her into my garage. I was almost ready to kill the ignition and push.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-04-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

BTW... I forgot to mention. I JUST installed the Fuel Rail Covers about 3-4 days before but never turned the car in until THAT day when I noticed the issue.

... The MSD wires are new. Literally only 3,200 miles on them. I doubt it's them. I'm leaning more toward the plugs, coils and 02s.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is tuned in SD, the misfire detection won't function. No cats will cause a bad fuel smell on any car.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Russ K
If the car is tuned in SD, the misfire detection won't function. No cats will cause a bad fuel smell on any car.

Russ Kemp
.. I haven't had cats for a LONG time now. The smell doesn't bother me. I actually like it! ... But since this problem reared it's ugly head, take the usual exhaust fumes and multiply times 3! ... In the Vid, I only had the car run'n for a minute, maybe two and the entire garage was already fume'n! To the point that my eyes got slightly irritated in those few moments. That's why I said it was bad. At that point, the fumes didn't feel like a muscle car badge of honor! ... lol!

PS, I have a MAF so CAN my car be in SD mode? .. If that sounds like a stupid question, I apologize but my tuning knowledge is lacking. I'm not gonna pretend that I understand the way tunes work when I have almost no clue.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a plug isn't firing giving the rich fumes. I've had this issue also, changed the O2's ran better, but every now and then it has issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Sounds like a plug isn't firing giving the rich fumes. I've had this issue also, changed the O2's ran better, but every now and then it has issues.
Well after 1 hour of searching I found someone from 06 who had this similar issue. Turned out that since his rear o2s were deleted (mine also), that he wasn't throw'n a code either even though it was his o2s. Whether that's the situation I'm in or not, it doesn't look like I have any other options. I guess I'll pick up some o2s and new plugs and go from there. I kinda had a feeling that this was the case (bad o2s) but I was and still am confused why it doesn't trip a DTC.

For ***** 'n giggles, can anyone answer why, if it's the 02s, it doesn't trip a DTC if the rears are deleted? ...if there's any truth to this, from a programing perspective, why does this occur?

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 01-05-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

For ***** 'n giggles, can anyone answer why, if it's the 02s, it doesn't trip a DTC if the rears are deleted? ...if there's any truth to this, from a programing perspective, why does this occur?
I don't believe that is correct. I have my rear O2 codes deleted and just replaced the front O2s and I'm still getting a P0131.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

K.. Soo I never thought I'd be happy to see a DTC!

...plugged my handheld in and ran "DTC All" again and just got this....

Same as before!

BUT then decided to run "Specific DTC" ... Individually punched in the codes.

&

... Now, I'm happy!! ... Still confused why it didn't pop up when I ran "DTC All" but only showed when I punched in the codes individually but it is what it is!

Spark Plugs & O2s!! ...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen this a few times - people put on those covers and knock wires or electrical plugs off. Pull the covers and check all the plug wires at the coils and electrical connections.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Congrats on the find. Make sure to do new plugs with the new o2s.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I've seen this a few times - people put on those covers and knock wires or electrical plugs off. Pull the covers and check all the plug wires at the coils and electrical connections.
.. That's what I thought too but I checked all SP Wires at the Coils and everything seems to be in there pretty darn good. ... Plus, keep in mind, now seeing that P0420 Bank 1 code makes me think that the O2 was already on the way out the door. I'm pretty sure knocking something loose near the coils and rails wouldn't have fouled out an O2 in less than a minute anyway. It coincides w/ the elevated fume level. .. Additionally, the 13111s are about 2-2.5 years old. (just realized this)