CME on Saab 9-7x Aero - First Time Welding

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CME on Saab 9-7x Aero - First Time Welding

So I've been wanting to do a custom center mount exhaust setup on my Saab like I had on my old Envoy. Instead of spending $500 to get it done, I decided to buy a MIG welder, a miter saw, and some tubing to do it my self. I have never welded before so I read a book, read the owners manual, and started to make a couple of practice welds with two small 3" tubes. I am going to install my Pacesetter long tube headers and Y-pipe at the same time with the CME. I dropped off the headers at Enduro Coatings in Mesquite, TX to get them ceramic coated. Just wanted to share some pics/info as I work on this project...

The rear bumper cover already has a nice valance with a cut-out for the hitch receiver. I'm just going to have a body shop fill in/smooth out the cut-out for the stock muffler tip and the trailer wiring harness. While I'm at it, I want to get all the lower rocker panels paint matched.

First I took the rear bumper off and cut the center of the hitch receiver out. I didn't want to cut all of it out since there are some small brackets welded to the hitch for the bumper cover. This piece weighs 15 lbs...

For my first welds, I welded some flat plates to the open support bracket so it wont look too ugly from the outside. I didn't have anything to cut them with at the time so i just welded them on as is. I still have to cut off the trim areas and smooth the edges out. Also gonna spray some rustoleum on the bumper once I'm done...

I found some exhaust flanges at a local circle track parts shop and welded them to the headers. These flanges are the 5th and 6th welds I've made so far and I still think they look better than what most local muffler shops do

I used (2) 45 degree 3" mandrel bends to make a "y-pipe" for the exhaust tips since I will be using a 3" single inlet/outlet magnaflow muffler (which is already installed on my Saab). Wasn't easy and didn't come out pretty but will work fine...

I cut the trim on the plates for the support bar, smoothed it out some, and painted it black...

I held the tips on with a jack stand and took a pic of how they will look from the top...

Its a 120v Lincoln Electric WeldPak 140HD and a 75/25 Argon/CO2 gas mix. I used the .025" wire that came with the kit. I have to be honest, I was so nervous using the welder and the miter saw that I was sweating like a ****. The miter saw isn't really meant for cutting steel but I put a cutoff disk on it and was well protected. Both will come in handy in the future tho. I bought them for myself on Christmas

More to come! My Saab is at Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX right now. They are borrowing it for the week to test fit a 4L80E with an adapter for AWD. Once I get it back I should have my headers by then and keep on working on it.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait wait...the saab 9-7x is a v8??? gtfoooo
Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work! I've been wanting the opportunity to some virgin welding myself, but need to get another ride first. This gives me confidence though that I can do it. Good luck with the the finish!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
The Aero is a Trailblazer SS in sheep's clothing. It's an LS2. One of GM's best kept secrets. There's also the Arc 5.3 versions.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Jess, now when do we touch up my exhaust?... Lol
Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Looks good mayne. 4l80 ehh? That should hold up to some of them all wheel drive launches you do lol
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
The Aero is a Trailblazer SS in sheep's clothing. It's an LS2. One of GM's best kept secrets. There's also the Arc 5.3 versions.
yeah just googled it. that's awesome. now i'll know the next time i come across one.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

looks good!! whats the part#s on those tips?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF this is a 6.0?
how much are these things?!?!?!?!
I WANT ONE
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
No man, don't you see my sig? It's just a 6................liter

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Nice work! I've been wanting the opportunity to some virgin welding myself, but need to get another ride first. This gives me confidence though that I can do it. Good luck with the the finish!
Gotta have a steady hand and patience. Eventually I SHOULD get good at it

Originally Posted by jebuzws6
Looking good Jess, now when do we touch up my exhaust?... Lol
ready when you are

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
Looks good mayne. 4l80 ehh? That should hold up to some of them all wheel drive launches you do lol
Actually they are just going to borrow it to test fit one in there. I don't have the money for the swap. They offered a free stall converter to whom ever let them borrow an AWD TBSS. No one replied for a few days so I went for it since my converter isnt locking up. They offered to open mine up to repair or replace it and freshen up my trans. It's a win, win.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
looks good!! whats the part#s on those tips?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pypes...item483e0ed8cb

They have a 3" inlet and also offer a 2.5" inlet.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

dude, looks good so far. what about some rear shots?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
WTF this is a 6.0?
how much are these things?!?!?!?!
I WANT ONE
These were overpriced at $50k for the Aero while the TBSS was $40k. They are very rare. I bought mine for $25,000 ($27,000 including taxes + fees) thru CarMax. Fully loaded minus rain sensing wipers and headlamp washers (better without them), Carbon Flash Met. w/Ebony interior, 27K miles, 50k/100k GM warranty. At the time it was the best deal I could find. It was actually out in Florida but had it shipped to Garland. The rest were selling for $28-30k up North. I like it cause its different. Everyone always hates on it cause its not a TBSS.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
dude, looks good so far. what about some rear shots?
I will once I get it back. I just did this last week and over the weekend. I put the bumper and bumper cover Sunday evening and took it to Phoenix yesterday morning. The rear bumper is primer cause I had it repaired after someone put a dent in it while I was parked at work like a week after I bought it.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45475

Damn I miss seeing paint on the rear bumper lol But i've been waiting to do this CME mod before I get it painted. Soon.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
These were overpriced at $50k for the Aero while the TBSS was $40k. They are very rare. I bought mine for $25,000 ($27,000 including taxes + fees) thru CarMax. Fully loaded minus rain sensing wipers and headlamp washers (better without them), Carbon Flash Met. w/Ebony interior, 27K miles, 50k/100k GM warranty. At the time it was the best deal I could find. It was actually out in Florida but had it shipped to Garland. The rest were selling for $28-30k up North. I like it cause its different. Everyone always hates on it cause its not a TBSS.
yea but its not common hearing some trans am or mustang getting your *** handed by them by a SAAB lol
talk about a sleeper.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea but its not common hearing some trans am or mustang getting your *** handed by them by a SAAB lol
talk about a sleeper.
Yeah it's fun for being a heavy bitch and with my heavy *** in it. I have a bunch of vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/Dirty30LS1
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
Yeah it's fun for being a heavy bitch and with my heavy *** in it. I have a bunch of vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/Dirty30LS1
all those videos are in mexico right?
it looks like matamoros high way
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

all those videos are in mexico right?
it looks like matamoros high way
They are, actually on the toll roads of Monterrey and San Luis
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks good, not too bad for your first welds
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

talk about a sleeper.
that happens a lot from a dig lol

Quick Reply: CME on Saab 9-7x Aero - First Time Welding