Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS???? Cranks then dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS???? Cranks then dies

I tried to crank my LQ9 tonight and it fired up on the first try, ran for about a second or 2 and died.... cranked right back up and died again and again and again. Wait 4 me tuned my computer and he forgot to turn the vats off on the last one he did for us. Does it sound like vats to you? No throttle response or anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like VATS but also had them do that if the MAF is plugged in but not installed, as in just sitting around the engine while trying to do test starts.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
Sounds like VATS but also had them do that if the MAF is plugged in but not installed, as in just sitting around the engine while trying to do test starts.
The maf is in and hooked up, everything is hooked up.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like vats to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The self-proclaimed greatest tuner in the world strikes again!!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkade72
I tried to crank my LQ9 tonight and it fired up on the first try, ran for about a second or 2 and died.... cranked right back up and died again and again and again. Wait 4 me tuned my computer and he forgot to turn the vats off on the last one he did for us. Does it sound like vats to you? No throttle response or anything.
LS1 PCM or Gen IV ECM?

Wait 4 me: aptly named it might appear .
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching!

I called him and he said he turned the VATS off, that is what he said about the last one. On the last one we pulled the pcm from another car and it fired right up. I wish I had access to another pcm so I could try it. I think I am just gonna see if I can get Gomer to come down and do it right!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm reading lately that if there are codes remaining in the ECM while VATS is in process of being disabled, that the VATS disable will not 'take'.
I've also seen where, depending upon the system used to disable VATS (EFI Live??, Hypertech??, etc), that though VATS appears to be disabled, that it's NOT disabled.
Confucius say..."those who do not REALLY disable VATS get 10 whacks with a wet fanbelt, and should offer their tune for 1/2 price!"
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gMAG
I'm reading lately that if there are codes remaining in the ECM while VATS is in process of being disabled, that the VATS disable will not 'take'.
I've also seen where, depending upon the system used to disable VATS (EFI Live??, Hypertech??, etc), that though VATS appears to be disabled, that it's NOT disabled.
Confucius say..."those who do not REALLY disable VATS get 10 whacks with a wet fanbelt, and should offer their tune for 1/2 price!"
Hell....I know everyone makes mistakes...I do all the time... but when it is 2 in a row...come on. I guesss I will write that off as a $87 loss. I emailed Gomer, he came down and did the tune in my 67 I did a swap it and it ran like a raped ape so maybe he will come down and handle this for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I dislike eating losses, too.
It's good to have an alternative available though.
When these issues arise, my brother and I say to each other (with that buzz-saw voice we hear on all the commercials for high-perf)..."MORE HORSEPOWER...FASTER ET'S!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Went to advance bought a scan tool and went home hooked it up no codes???? This is what jesse wanted me to do, he is now saying the computer may be toast.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

If he deleted VATS, and then did a "write config"...it might not have taken...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. He needs to do a "write all", and that should clear the VATS issue, if that is indeed the problem.

T,
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TomM
If he deleted VATS, and then did a "write config"...it might not have taken...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. He needs to do a "write all", and that should clear the VATS issue, if that is indeed the problem.

T,
I am trying to find someone local that can do it. No luck yet.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Well............... it wasn't Jesse's fault. It was the idle air sensor, replaced that and it cranked up and ran fine. Damn speedo still won't work though, but everything else including the windstar fans work like a charm. I got to get a new thermostat because the computer is telling the fans to come on before the thermostat opens.

Quick Reply: VATS???? Cranks then dies