General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New radiator, water boiling out of coolant resivor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New radiator, water boiling out of coolant resivor

Discovered a crack in the plastic edge of my radiator last week and ordered a factory style replacement radiator off of Summit. Built just like the stock one. After installing the new one, I had my dad put water in the radiator while I went inside to grab my wallet and after filling it up I took it around the block a few times, temp gauge stayed just below 210 like normal. When I pulled in the driveway, I got out leaving the engine running to look under and make sure there weren't any leaks from the hoses and literally 10 seconds after not seeing anything, water starts pouring from the passenger side. Water was boiling out of the coolant resivor. My question is, is this from maybe putting too much water in the radiator, or do I have a problem? I can't tell you how much was put in since I did not do it myself.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your radiator cap seated properly? it may be letting air into the system causing a boil over.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

It could be the wrong radiator cap, or you added more water than antifreeze.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpooleATL
Discovered a crack in the plastic edge of my radiator last week and ordered a factory style replacement radiator off of Summit. Built just like the stock one. After installing the new one, I had my dad put water in the radiator while I went inside to grab my wallet and after filling it up I took it around the block a few times, temp gauge stayed just below 210 like normal. When I pulled in the driveway, I got out leaving the engine running to look under and make sure there weren't any leaks from the hoses and literally 10 seconds after not seeing anything, water starts pouring from the passenger side. Water was boiling out of the coolant resivor. My question is, is this from maybe putting too much water in the radiator, or do I have a problem? I can't tell you how much was put in since I did not do it myself.
You mentioned asking him to put water in but mentioned nothing about antifreeze. Did he put any in there?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did you make sure there was no air in the system? sometime it can be a PITA to get all the air out
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

No he didn't put any antifreeze cause I was planning on flushing it all out once I got back, and I went and looked at the cap and it is extremely loose. Air could definitely get in just by looking at. The new radiator didn't come with a new cap, Im still using the stock one.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No he didn't put any antifreeze cause I was planning on flushing it all out once I got back, and I went and looked at the cap and it is extremely loose. Air could definitely get in just by looking at. The new radiator didn't come with a new cap, Im still using the stock one.
Doesn't matter if you just put straight water in there, it will run just fine like that, especially just going around the block a few times. I know people who run straight water full time and they run fine.

Get a new cap for sure, especially if you got a new radiator. 18 psi cap.....

I use a Stant cap with the pressure relief lever on it......been rock solid for 5+ years. $3.00

OH....and you must fill the radiator up all the way, the system must be 100% topped off, zero space in the radiator. Air being in there is bad.
You should let it idle with the cap off, and wait till you see the coolant start to flow in the filler neck (t-stat has opened). If the level drops down IMMEDIATELY top it off, and put the cap on. Thats how you make sure all the air is out of the system.

It gets a bit colder up where you are in Florida, but down here in South Florida....I've always used a half jug of Dexcool and the rest hose water. Works perfect, my engine runs sick cool......
You might want to use a whole jug because you get much colder in winter than we do.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-05-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

to help make sure air is out......i disconnect the hose under ......by....the TB.....fill up the rad til water comes out the pipe.......works like a charm
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I'll give that a try, Im about to go flush it out now. Thanks alot.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok I'll give that a try, Im about to go flush it out now. Thanks alot.
While the engine is heating up with the radiator cap OFF...and you are waiting for the t-stat to open to see the coolant start to flow in the filler neck....all you have to do is squeeze the upper radiator hose rapidly about 30-40 times. You can do the lower hose to if you want to.....That will move the air bubble back and forth letting hot coolant touch the t-stat and allow it to open up, It works every single time I do it.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Just flushed the whole thing out and it still started boiling out of the resivor, temp gauge remains at 210 however and my fans are NOT coming on. This sucks I have headers and a new exhaust system just sitting in my room and now I have to put up with this...
Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just out of curiosity..did you accidentally switch the lines that go from the resevoir to the rad. and the line that comes from the engine crossover pipe to the rad..the resevoir line goes to the top fitting just under the cap, the crossover line goes on the lower fitting..i had them switched (was puttin my ls1 back together in the dark, and in a hurry) switched these 2 hoses and it did the exact same thing as yours is.

Last edited by JaYZeig; 01-05-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^thats a good point...I did the same thing when I first got the car and had the same results.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Jayzeig, you're the man. Thanks bro.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jayzeig, you're the man. Thanks bro.
awesome..glad i can help
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
to help make sure air is out......i disconnect the hose under ......by....the TB.....fill up the rad til water comes out the pipe.......works like a charm
same here
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 AM

Check hoses hose off water pump goes on bottom near cap other small hose on top near same size easy mix up
Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarozssclone
Check hoses hose off water pump goes on bottom near cap other small hose on top near same size easy mix up
Threads over 2 years old, hope he got it fixed by now

Quick Reply: New radiator, water boiling out of coolant resivor