Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Valve spring ?'s

Ok guys, I have been running this combo for a little over 3yrs & 60k miles. I'm planning on ripping the heads back off around tax time to replace the FelPro/copper spray head gaskets cause they seep oil like a bitch. Going to throw in some GM MLS gaskets & ARP head bolts this time. I'm wanting to toss in some new valve springs too & I'm curious as to what my options are these days. I haven't been in the loop on this stuff for a while & currently I'm running the Patriot Gold duals kit on my stock 5.3 head castings that Bo White worked over.

My cam is a 224/224 .581/.581 114, modifications to heads was milling .018", installing the stock car intake valve in place of the stock 5.3 intake valves & port/polishing job.

I'm lookin for a spring that will hold up to my daily driver needs & that will last as long as these Patriots have. If the Patriots are my best bet I'll just buy another set of those & not worry about it. I'm just curious what options are out there now days as I'm sure new springs have been released & tested since I last researched it in depth..
Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, really, not a single suggestion? Guess I'll crawl back in my hole, LOL.

Figured I might pick up some info on new springs possibly not a double spring that could be more affordable & long lasting or something since the cam is under .600" lift.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you've had good luck with Patriot Springs. Although there are better springs, they cost more than the Patriots.

How is it that the head gaskets seep oil? Water I can see, but the head gaskets should not contact much oil, should they?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to TSP and shop around,they should have just about every spring for a ls head.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Either PAC 1218 or 1518's. Great beehives.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darkman
It sounds like you've had good luck with Patriot Springs. Although there are better springs, they cost more than the Patriots.

How is it that the head gaskets seep oil? Water I can see, but the head gaskets should not contact much oil, should they?
Honestly there is so much oil build up around the seam for the heads to block & the valve covers to heads I don't friggin know. It could be all comming from the valve cover gaskets leaking & running down the heads to the block, its all so grimy though I cant see any spots that look like oil running down from the valve covers. Add to that my hood is debaffled & not sealed to the air box yet & I drive over 300 miles weekly, it gets pathetic dirty under the hood maybe as far as shameful, LOL. I'm tryin to change all that though over the winter.

I just figured since I just finally bought a LS6 intake for my combo that when in there I'd rip the heads back out, toss in a better MLS head gasket & ARP head bolts along with new valve cover gaskets. That way I can check on my cylinder wear & piston conditions. I have been driving it untuned for all this time, no problems that I know of but I'd like to check it all out & refresh the heads while they are off.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay. My guess is that it is more valve cover gaskets rather than head gaskets.

I agree with TurboBuick6's post - you ought to look at PAC 1218 beehives or the Premium Nitrided 1518 beehives for your next valve spring- Texas Speed has them.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Im running the Lunati Golds. No problems, and cheaper then Patriots.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

^^I'll check those out. I'm not lookin to spend alot on springs since I will be replacing them about every 3yrs from now on & my cam isnt even close to radical, LOL. I just wanna make sure whatever I go with will last.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I did a lot of research before I purchased them. They run a tool steel retainer for the cost savings. The tool steel is slightly heavier then titanium but stronger, bc the titanium is actually a softer metal. I couldn't get it pinpointed but I read that they are made by a top tier spring manufacturer meaning quality should be good for the actual parts. Price is the best you will find. I bought mine from Atlantic speed for $220 shipped for the whole set-up. The spring pressures/installed heights and all seem to be on par with the other popular dual spring set-ups. So I said **** it lets give em a try.