LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission Magnet thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Magnet thread

I cant seem to find the thread reguarding the Magnet in the pan resolving the slippage issue..... I was wondering what the outcome was from this service now that it's been a few weeks.

Did it work?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

do you mean this thread? I just did this during the holidays...fluid, filter and magnets. We'll see...it can't hurt.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

correct.

Thank you. Let me know how it works. I did an entire BG fluid flush and a new valve body last spring. it worked for about 3 days then went back to the way it was.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I had this email conversation with TEP...

Hi John,

I have not seen that tsb on the trans but doesnt suprise me. GM really didnt do too well on this trans in the V8 cars and unfortunately they often fail short of 80K miles. An extra magnet is not fixing anything, just potentially helping to keep more debris going through the trans. What is listed makes sense and yes it can effect the solenoids performance, but wow. Transmission wear in general, valve body wear, seal wear, clutch wear, pump wear etc is ALL going to effect line pressure, not just debris on a solenoid. Im not saying there is anything wrong at all with adding a magnet and it is going to help collect more debris so if you do add one it is going to help out a bit, just not with where the debris is coming from.

David Norris
Email: Dave@tripleedgeperformance.com

-------- Original Message --------
Dave,

What do you think about this?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ement-fix.html
I know it cannot hurt to add the magnet, so I will probably do it. Just wondering if you have seen it and had thoughts.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

and i see he said 1 month and 1700 miles without an issue. i guess i am going to go ahead with this
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4_SS
and i see he said 1 month and 1700 miles without an issue. i guess i am going to go ahead with this
Couldn't hurt, certainly.

Dave has told me that the material often found in the pan is from the TCC when it starts to come apart. The only way to prevent that is through replacing the converter relief valve with a new one that bleeds off pressure at a lower threshold. The higher-threshold stock valve is what wastes our TCC's and ultimately destroys these trannys.

The thing that sucks is, the trans needs to come out to get at the relief valve, so you're looking at $400-$500 in labor, just to put in a $4.99 part.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

all these negative trans threads scare the hell out of me. i just turned 30k on my original trans last week. i figured a couple of magnets couldn't hurt. i placed one on the pan where the fluid is displaced, and one on the filter where the fluid enters. i'll keep you posted...
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis
all these negative trans threads scare the hell out of me. i just turned 30k on my original trans last week. i figured a couple of magnets couldn't hurt. i placed one on the pan where the fluid is displaced, and one on the filter where the fluid enters. i'll keep you posted...
Some have accused of me scaremongering and blowing the issue out of proportion, but shear number of people with problems speaks for itself.

It's hard to know just what the failure rate is, but any steps that can be taken to minimize the damage can only help.

I think the key is to address the problem before it occurs, especially if the transmission is operating correctly and doesn't have shrapnel in the pan yet. I'm doing this with SERTA trans the dealer installed in my car back in November. The car is getting the TEP valve body and Sonnax converter valve this week, along with a new torque converter. I'm convinced this will save me from having these problems again.