LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?

I have an LS4 (entire drive train) in my 1988 Fiero GT. It is "for now" stock.
It runs great and has no engine codes. BUT the smog reff says I cant get it certified with out a stock air box.
So if any one has one that is not needed I would like to acquire it
I don't think he can be talked out of it, he wants to see the part numbers to verify.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno if a stock LS4 airbox will fit in there for ya... the thing is pretty big/bulky... and it goes down to a bottom tray portion that is part of it and snaps to - and in that tray are where the ecm/tcm modules would go..

I've still got my stock one - sitting on a shelf - that I could give ya cheap, but I had cut some holes in it for more air to get in... but it IS the stock box...

he didn't say it couldn't have holes in it

here's a pic of the stock airbox (no, not mine haha)... and it goes down deeper than what you can see too...

http://www.eallautos.com/Pictures/T531-H.jpg

you got room for that big black box in your car???

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 01-05-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 swap
I have an LS4 (entire drive train) in my 1988 Fiero GT. It is "for now" stock.
It runs great and has no engine codes. BUT the smog reff says I cant get it certified with out a stock air box.
So if any one has one that is not needed I would like to acquire it
I don't think he can be talked out of it, he wants to see the part numbers to verify.
You must be in California. Sucks, but it might be easier to just post a "request for smog" in the Western section of LS1Tech. You'll probably pay $300 for it, but it's a lot less of a hassle than cutting up your Fiero to fit a restrictive air box.

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I dunno if a stock LS4 airbox will fit in there for ya... the thing is pretty big/bulky... and it goes down to a bottom tray portion that is part of it and snaps to - and in that tray are where the ecm/tcm modules would go..

I've still got my stock one - sitting on a shelf - that I could give ya cheap, but I had cut some holes in it for more air to get in... but it IS the stock box...

here's a pic of the stock airbox (no, not mine haha)... and it goes down deeper than what you can see too...

Knowing California, they would probably have a problem with your custom flow work on the air box. If it isn't obvious, he may get away with it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

I see the one in the pic is on a V6. Do you have the V8 box? I am not even sure if they are the same, but I am sure this guy will fail it if they are different.
I knew they are huge. I plan to cut it to fit. I have done it before on an LX5 (3.5 quad cam V6) and they did not make a big deal about it.
How much are you willing to take to part with it?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You must be in California. Sucks, but it might be easier to just post a "request for smog" in the Western section of LS1Tech. You'll probably pay $300 for it, but it's a lot less of a hassle than cutting up your Fiero to fit a restrictive air box.

Knowing California, they would probably have a problem with your custom flow work on the air box. If it isn't obvious, he may get away with it.
I think the flow work that will trip this up is the exhaust. It has no muffler, but he did not care about that the first time. He just asked if I modified the exhaust system. I said that I had to so the cat would not stick out like a trailer hitch. I had to turn it sideways to fit it in the engine bay. He did not say anything else about it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to your local NAPA , they sell exact fit air boxes... Find the one that fits and have them write it up as your specs, ex specs.
They are identical as OEM, available for just about every model
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
Just go to your local NAPA , they sell exact fit air boxes... Find the one that fits and have them write it up as your specs, ex specs.
They are identical as OEM, available for just about every model
If the box does not have an EO number it wont pass.
BTW off topic a little bit, I found out that there is not a single cone style air filter that is legal in CA no matter what box it is in. The reff has a list of "approved" EO numbered filters and K&N along with a myriad of others do not have the EO number on the cone filters.
So word to the wise, if you want to be smog legal in CA, there is no aftermarket cone filter, and I don't think the COLD AIR systems have the proper EO numbers either?
CA is cool, isnt it
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

God i love Canada.
We can run whatever we want on the street and be legal
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I see the one in the pic is on a V6. Do you have the V8 box? I am not even sure if they are the same, but I am sure this guy will fail it if they are different.
I knew they are huge. I plan to cut it to fit. I have done it before on an LX5 (3.5 quad cam V6) and they did not make a big deal about it.
How much are you willing to take to part with it?
they are the same box...

that's the same box I had on my SS v8...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

they are the same box...

that's the same box I had on my SS v8...
How much sounds good to you with shipping to the great state of smog control.
Does the box have all the parts?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

I am still interested in a box
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

their was one recently in the for sale section
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am still interested in a box
sorry... haven't checked back in a while...

yeah, I have all the parts...

takin a pic of everything.. will post it up in a few...

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Slip him a hundo and be on your way

Cash is king
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

here's a pic of everything...

main/top part of the box - where the tape is, is where I have slots cut out of it for increased air.. plus the very front of it that is facing the bottom part... took that out too, so it gets air in from right behind the headlight... instead of just that little round tube they had in there originally...

then there's the bottom part of the box... which is where the ecm/tcm get mounted...

to the left, is the back part of the box that comes off so you can put in the air filter, and it is also where you mount the MAF sensor...

then, I have the stock air filter...

Also have the o-ring and screws for mounting the maf sensor to the box...

and in the middle of the o-ring is the rubber grommet that goes on the bottom of the box for mounting it to the car.... well, for the "stock" cars that it goes with, hehe...

so... that's everything.... complete setup...

just looked up the box if you were to buy it new from a genuine GM parts site (newgmparts.com), and the discounted cost for the setup is a little over $300....

so.. how's $100?? that will include the shipping and everything...

I have paypal... PM me if still interested...

thanks man...

EDIT: I just looked up Express Mail from the Post Office, and it's going to be about $40 to ship... daayuum!! heh...

Attached Thumbnails HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?-stock_airbox.jpg   HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?-1-img_2822.jpg   HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?-2-img_2823.jpg   HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?-3-img_2824.jpg  

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 01-10-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added a few more pics of it all put together...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

nothin' huh??? oh well... couldn't have been THAT important... hehe...

I'll hang on to it....

Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

nothin' huh??? oh well... couldn't have been THAT important... hehe...

I'll hang on to it....
Sorry for the long silence. I don't get on this forum that much.
If you still have it I will take it
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry for the long silence. I don't get on this forum that much.
If you still have it I will take it
hahaha np man...

yes, I still have it... and I replied to your PM...

Quick Reply: HELP, smog reff says I need a stock air filter box?