Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam swap with DOD turned off; retaining DOD lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap with DOD turned off; retaining DOD lifters?

As it says...I want to know if anyone has done a mild cam swap on a DOD/AFM car and was able to utilize the factory DOD/AFM lifters with the DOD/AFM turned off? I will obviously run springs and probably rods but, just want to know if I need to switch out the DOD/AFM lifters....Ive been told they like high revs surprisingly as a side note....

Problem I have is the im FWD...LS4...so a lot of guys that change cams out in our motor usually change the timing chain and cam bolt from a 1 bolt to a 3 bolt gear and then have to change out the oil pump to the LS6 style due to our pump having too much psi which is intended for the DOD/AFM system when it is operative. Most of them just do away with DOD/AFM all together and do a rough re man due to there not being a "KIT" for the forgotten LS4.....

They will ultimately do as a lot of the G8 guys do and just change the lifters to the LS7 style and replace the above things i listed as far as cam goes and oil pump, and then do a non DOD/AFM valley cover swap and call it a day....

but just to let you know...its a pain in the A&$!!!!!!!!

So, wanting to see if i can just put this cam in with some springs and some pushrods and keep the DOD/AFM off and use the factory DOD/AFM lifters?

Thanks all,

Rossko
Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do it with mild cams from like TSP OR mast MS but its not worth it in the long run because those lifters are junk so why ruin your motor when you can do a DOD delete and get better parts and enjoy your motor without worries.

Just my .02
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just do like everyone else and get rid of the DoD stuff and use the LS6 pump with a cam and aftermarket valley cover. You figure you need to drop the cradle/lift the engine high enough to put the cam in to begin with, so why not do it once and forget it?

Quick Reply: Cam swap with DOD turned off; retaining DOD lifters?