Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i make my engine run cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how can i make my engine run cooler?

i did a few WOT runs in my car the other day using efilive to monitor the o2 readings, and i noticed that after 2 runs, the temp got up to 230 degrees (the temp outside was hot as hell). will running a 180 degree t-stat help? anything else i can do? thanks!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donate52
i did a few WOT runs in my car the other day using efilive to monitor the o2 readings, and i noticed that after 2 runs, the temp got up to 230 degrees (the temp outside was hot as hell). will running a 180 degree t-stat help? anything else i can do? thanks!
yes, the electic waterpump, not really good for any rwhp maby a few, but will definatly help with cooling. and its very $$$$$$$$$$$$ also a bigger radiator and a electric fan switch. do you have a fast toys kit. never had anyproblems with cooling with mine, but try taking it off if you do
Old 02-09-2004, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

The electric pump pumps less gallons per min. than stock. Evans just came out with a new water pump that flows 20% more than stock. From the sponsor section...

Evans Cooling Systems Inc has just released a new highflow LS1-6 water pump. The billet coolant pump and pulley flows over 20% more than stock and changes the cooling pattern for a more even cooling. The pump increases cooling efficency in modified LS1 Corvettes, Camaro`s and LS1 based motors. Evans has changed the design of the OEM pump casting and includes a billet pulley hub and heavy duty 3/4" shat bearing assembly. It also includes a 3.8" OD 8 vane scrolled impeller to reduce paracitic horsepower loss at high RPM. A new serpentine belt is requiered. We will have these in stock in a couple of days I will get you pics then.

Evans complete water pump with billet pulley $469.95 for Corvettes
Evans complete water pump with billet pulley $469.95 for F-Bodies
Goodyear serpentine belt $49.95 either

Also Evans new NPG R race coolant in stock $25.95 a gallon

Nate
Old 02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Cooler fan settings, and a cooler t-stat if you want....
Old 02-09-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Couple different companies have higher capacity radiators out. They could certainly help.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

get a 160 stat, and do the Fan Mod@ ls1.com. cheap and easy. your fan will run on low speed without affecting the normal fans. this mod really helped me out.
Or get the HPP3 or edit to get your fans to turn on sooner.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

all you need is the fans to run, low will do alright, high will keep you at 195 or so, all day long.I notice in my car, ac off in traffic will hit 228 with the fans under computer control, my low speed fan switch seems to keep at 195 or so.

slp sells an overpriced fan switch, or you can make you own, like did. Mine has full high/auto/low control, plug and play, and no ses lights. PM for details. the ls1 method works for low, but not high, as you will get a ses lights.

Ryan
Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for all the replies. no i do not have the FTRA (i know it makes the car run a bit hotter since it blocks the radiator). im going to try the fan switch and the 160 t-stat, thanks!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

i have the 160 T-stat and programms. ECT's lock in at 185 and stay there, even on the warmer days of winter 60's etc.

The idea of course is to not actually run at 160, but to give the fans the time to cool the coolant. If you ran at 160 you'd seriously decrease the life of your motor. Notice how just about every car on the planet runs at 195-210 for complete combustion of gas? They didn't pull this # out of their azz.

Lower thermostats are general band-aid patches for those who can't afford to get a new radiator that was designed for the level of power output or driving styles that are matched. Everyone knows when you up the power significantly or track it etc you need more cooling system, a t-stat will never accomplish this.

Quick Reply: how can i make my engine run cooler?