Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak from car when I rev it up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeak from car when I rev it up?

Well here's the deal, if I rev the car above a certain RPM, I hear like a cricket chirping type noise when the car is in park, I don't notice it if I'm racing or anything that I can think of. I dunno if an exhaust can sound like that or not but that's where I thought it was coming from, the exhaust is dumped under the car, I dunno if maybe a lil material was left on the exhaust when it was cut and the airs hitting it and making the noise or what? It doesn't do it on light rev ups or if I hit the transbrake and hold the rpms at the peak (4k) and let off or anything like that, just seems like it only happens when the car is in park.

Mods are: th400 w/ tbrake, 4k coan n20 converter, SFI flywheel with spacer (bolts to the flywheel for standard th400 converters), 4.10s, lid, slp pulley, ported throttle body, QTP stainless longtubes, dumped exhaust with about 30" or so of total pipe with bullet mufflers included dumped under the drivers seat.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Are you using steel gaskets?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
Sounds like a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Are you using steel gaskets?
Yes, I am actually. I have taken off the headers a few times though... Had problems with a previous set on a few occasions, and then I switched to these without ever changing the gaskets...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Diagnosing noises over the internet is always a crapshoot, but other possibilties include a worn serpentine belt/belt tensioner or a power steering pump issue.

Quick Reply: Squeak from car when I rev it up?