Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Story of my first clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Story of my first clutch install

I finally decided to take the dive and fix my shifting problems. Here's what it was like. lol I have a huge coat on cause it was freezing outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POzNyYMR-2o

It's not near as bad while driving but anything above 5000 rpm's and your screwed. Anyway here is hopefully the solution, ls7 clutch, tick m/c, new slave, new pilot bearing.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was my first clutch install and I did it all by myself except getting the tranny back in.

Whoever put the last clutch in didn't know what they were doing or didn't give a ****. There was 1 bolt missing out of practically everything, it's like he had this rule that 1 bolt should be missing from everything lol. There was a bolt missing from the thing that holds the tranny up to the car, one missing from rubber mount thing, one missing from tranny to bellhousing, and one missing from bellhousing to engine. The plastic cover by the starter was gone and of course no bolt. Plus the breather tube was also pinched between the transmission and bellhousing. The pressure plate and flywheel actually had all the bolts, but of course one of the flywheel bolts was like finger tight. Is this normal or is all that crap completely ridiculous?

Plus it had a centerforce clutch and flywheel, I think I read these things are nothing but a big pile of my moms steamy lol

After I get all that off It's time to get the pilot bearing out. Guess what that looked like.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Was this ever even a bearing?

I rented a slide hammer and that cheap puller from o'reillys, I started hammering and it was just eating right through the pilot bearing. So I thought I needed to tighten the puller down to expand the arms and get a better bite on the bearing. Well I was tightening the puller with a 1/2'' ratchet and using my hand to keep it from spinning and the damn arm thing snapped. WTF!

I read autozone had a good puller so I went there to get one, they had the same damn puller o'reillys had. Oh well this one looked a little stronger so I decided to give it a shot. I tightened down started hammering and guess what the same gay little arm thing broke while I was hammering. You gotta be kidding me! And the pilot bearing didn't budge a bit.

Time to get the dremel out and start cutting, I only had circle blades so I couldn't get into it to deep. I cut a couple notches down all the way down to whatever the bearing sits against, I guess the crank. I couldn't do anymore with the dremel so I wanted to try the shitty puller again hoping that the cuts relieved some of the tension or something. Frankensteined the pullers by taking the arms off and putting one together and thank god the bearing came right out.

And after that everything went pretty smooth because I didn't have to deal with discovering a bunch of retarded crap some guy didn't do right. Here is the end results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TNL3020SAQ

It's still a little notchy not sure while it's like that, probably my tranny from me beating the crap out of it. I'm gonna adjust the tick m/c out some more to see if that helps.

Anyway I will put a video up of me actually driving the car and banging some gears after winter is over and the clutch gets broken in. Well if my tranny isn't shot, may have to send the tranny to tick for a viper rebuild.

Thanks for reading my huge pointless thread, maybe someone will learn something from it. See ya.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

It *should* get better as you break it in more.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I adjusted the master out a lil more to where the clutch is like even with the brake pedal, and now it goes in every gear super smooth even reverse. I can't wait to get the clutch broken in and actually be able to shift my car at rpm's higher than 5000.

Quick Reply: Story of my first clutch install