LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please dont tell me its my fuel pump!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please dont tell me its my fuel pump!

I woke up this morning and tried to start my car and it wouldnt turn over (like it wasnt getting any gas) I tried a couple more times to see if I could hear the fuel pump...NOTHING! It is freezing outside but i dont think that matters but I just put a brand new fuel pump in 3 months ago...is there any chance that it has kicked the bucket already?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Once you tried to start it the fuel system should already be primed if it primed at all. Mine does that, it will prime, and if it doesn't turn over, it won't re-prime. It could be the fuel pump, or the opti, or a number of things. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you get anything when it primes.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the relay-swap it out with a unit that's known to be working and take it from there. When you say the car won't "turn over," do you mean the starter isn't spinning the engine?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Ok I will check the fuel pressure and the relay and hopefully I will come up with a solution to this problem...I really dont want to drop that damn tank again lol!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver94LT1
Ok I will check the fuel pressure and the relay and hopefully I will come up with a solution to this problem...I really dont want to drop that damn tank again lol!
You don't have to drop the tank.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Teching In

The previous owner to my car just cut the sheet metal right where the sender/pump comes out of the tank, no dropping the tank for me, I just cut a piece of sheet metal and hinged it with a latch, cover it with carpet, no one will ever know the difference haha.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Me and my dad were going to do that just incase it went bad again but we not crazy about cutting into the car but now it sounds like a great idea haha! So if we need to get to the fuel pump we are going to do the trap door method.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silver94LT1
Me and my dad were going to do that just incase it went bad again but we not crazy about cutting into the car but now it sounds like a great idea haha! So if we need to get to the fuel pump we are going to do the trap door method.
do it. its so easy. shoulda done it the fist time.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tricked94camaro
do it. its so easy. shoulda done it the fist time.
True story.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

It's cold out and your car won't start.....

.....try charging the battery why would a fouled fuel pump prevent you engine from turning over?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane.
It's cold out and your car won't start.....

.....try charging the battery why would a fouled fuel pump prevent you engine from turning over?
Because half the time people misuse the phrase "turning over" and "crank." I think in this case, "turning over" means actually firing/starting, which makes no sense to me.

One would think "turning over" means PHYSICALLY ROTATING, while "cranking" would mean the same thing.

Dunno...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car has a NO START situation. It will CRANK however it will NOT START and RUN....
Have you sprayed carb cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body?
Remove the shader valve cap and push the valve down if fuel just dribbles out you are most likely going to need a new GM pump or one from Racetronix a vendor here..... STAY AWAY FROM AUTOPARTS PUMPS & CHEAP EBAY PUMPS. I do not recommend the trap door mod on a daily driver however it does make the job about 10x easier.......If you do the trap door mod look closely at Ramairs job,make it clean and seal properly.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please dont tell me its my fuel pump!