Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Got Off My A$$ and Took Out Mt Motor!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally Got Off My A$$ and Took Out Mt Motor!

My car has been down for quite a long time and i just parked it in the garage and pretty much forgot about it. Out of sight out of mind. I finally got off my butt and decided i should start workin on gettin the motor out and took it out yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

The rundown is one day i drove my car to work which was about 80 miles to the building and parked my car when i got there. When i was off i went back to my car and when i started it it was knocking. But instead of calling my insurance and having it towed home i just drove it home. My oil pressure gauge had already been fluxuating before this day but when i fired it up it was bouncing like crazy. I than drove home 80 miles in traffic. The car felt real gutless and slugish and i was just hoping i would make it home. Well i did , pulled the drive side valve cover to check the springs, pulled and checked the plugs, than pulled the dipstick and seen metal shavings and parked it in the garage and left it alone till now. I just assumed i probably had spun a rod bearing.

Well after pulling the motor i pulled off the passenger side valve cover and noticed a push rod missing and the hole in the head for the push rod was all chewed and out of round. So i pulled the head and found half of the pushrod on top of the lifter tray. I than pulled the lifter tray and found the other half under the lifter tray. After both heads were off i also noticed that every piston has wear were the valve was kissing the piston. And its not just a mark, it looks like little valve reliefs were in the pistons. I was thinking maybe my springs are really worn out? I mean the motor was 110k miles and none of that stuff has been replaced yet. So its time for a total rebuild.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So far i have only pulled the very back two rod caps and the bearings look toast. Ill probably take the rest off on monday to see whats going on with those aswell.

Last edited by 99 Blue Bird; 01-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Fixed the pictures.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

oh and the piston pictures are upside down lol. took em that way cuz its on an engine stand and the rod caps are up right now lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that pushrod is really destroyed. ive never seen anything like that before!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to cut valve reliefs for a bigger cam now lol. I hope all goes well. I dropped a valve a couple months back, and completely destroyed a piston. Im just getting a motor put back in it.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
me neither. ive seen them bent to **** before but never actually broken. inside the motor
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
No need to cut valve reliefs for a bigger cam now lol. I hope all goes well. I dropped a valve a couple months back, and completely destroyed a piston. Im just getting a motor put back in it.
lol my thoughts exactly. but ima go with something like Pat G's 218/230 115+4 lsa cam. something kind of sleeper that will work with the exhaust manifolds and pass smog legally here in CA. im tired of swapping my headers on and off when SMOG comes around.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol at how long it must have taken to label all the connectors,
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ramairracer
lol at how long it must have taken to label all the connectors,
lol yea thats what took the longest. everytime i took something off i labled it. but its gonna help me for sure when i put it back in cuz im not sure when the motor will be done. i would be screwed if i didnt label them
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Default Update

Well i pulled all the rod caps and every one of em have scrapes in them. And are worn past the first layer of the bearing. There was really no scarring on the crank or the rod caps so i guess it did not turn out as bad as it could of been, which is nice.

On a good note i ordered some 799 heads. So im debating if i should send them out to TEA or something so they can cnc them before i put them on. And now i need to get a cam and springs package and have my motor rebuilt.
Im just not sure if i should put the 6.0 in i have (because i would like to build a 408 out of it for my drag car project or have an all aluminum motor in my drag car project, but i would only be able to go 383ci) or put the LS1 back in my TA. Decisions decisions.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default a little more progress

i dropped the front suspension and i put in my UMI tubular k member.
pressure washed everything, painted it, and than swapped the k members.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
lol yea thats what took the longest. everytime i took something off i labled it. but its gonna help me for sure when i put it back in cuz im not sure when the motor will be done. i would be screwed if i didnt label them
I labeled/bagged everything when I removed/disassembled my motor for a long-term rebuild. K-member bolts, intake manifold bolts, pistons, oil pan bolts, front cover bolts, rear cover bolts, valley cover bolts, oil pump bolts, etc. etc. etc., and taped up free-hanging ground bolts so they stayed with the ground wires. It is definitely worth the investment in Ziplock bags/masking tape/whatever.

Definitely gonna clean up and paint my control arms like you did, while the whole assembly is on the ground.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Crazy, I just got done helping my friend with his car. We found a pushrod just like the one you found. We'll pull the head off in a few days and see what the damage is.