General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior Drain Plugs & Tail Light Gaskets

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Interior Drain Plugs & Tail Light Gaskets

Do you guys know of any good places that sell either of these parts? I have tried Lowe's/HD and have not had much luck.

I am missing the interior drain plug that is directly beneath the spare tire. I would like to put one there but I don't know where to go to get one. I have contacted some folks that are parting out cars.

I am getting some water in my passenger side tail light and would like to throw some new tail light gaskets in the mix when I put the new tail lights on. Again, i dont know where to go to get these new. I have also contacted some people who are currently parting out cars to see if they can help me out.

Thanks 'tech!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Not sure what you are talking about. Assume its for your 99 Z28?

In my '99, I don't recall seeing a plug under the spare. Just a small weep hole, which is open all the time. (not plugged)

Are you talking about the EPDM rubber gaskets that go around each lightbulb socket? If so - that's probably not where your leak is coming from. Those gaskets can be had new, but you probalby have a cracked lens.

hat kind of car is this for?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Not sure what you are talking about. Assume its for your 99 Z28?

In my '99, I don't recall seeing a plug under the spare. Just a small weep hole, which is open all the time. (not plugged)

Are you talking about the EPDM rubber gaskets that go around each lightbulb socket? If so - that's probably not where your leak is coming from. Those gaskets can be had new, but you probalby have a cracked lens.

hat kind of car is this for?
Yes, sorry about that. It is for my '99 Z28.

Hmmm. This hole is pretty much exactly the same size as the rest of my interior drain plugs, which is why I am assuming that one goes there. I know someone who's car I can check with to verify.

Yes, I am talking about the EPDM rubber gaskets that go around each lightbulb socket. I did buy another set of tail lights that were confirmed to not leak water or show condensation. Where do you get these EPDM gaskets from? I want to buy some.

Last edited by jdoyle; 01-10-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by jdoyle
Yes, sorry about that. It is for my '99 Z28.

Hmmm. This hole is pretty much exactly the same size as the rest of my interior drain plugs, which is why I am assuming that one goes there. I know someone who's car I can check with to verify.

Yes, I am talking about the EPDM rubber gaskets that go around each lightbulb socket. I did buy another set of tail lights that were confirmed to not leak water or show condensation. Where do you get these EPDM gaskets from? I want to buy some.
My spare is out currently for tail light work but I'm currently out of town. (I'm putting in sequential lights.) I'll re-check my well again on Tuesday. As a part of my work, I've also re-built all of my sockets and replaced all the bulbs. (Insurance since its such a PITA to get to them.)

You can look up socket parts in this catalog: http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf

The seals for the 6 large sockets are part number 12129909. You can get them in small quantities from Mouser electronics 50 cents each! To get seals for the small sockets, you'll have to purchase all new sockets - 15324946, but getting this part is a bit harder - you are probably best to get a new pigtail in order to score a new seal.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

My spare is out currently for tail light work but I'm currently out of town. (I'm putting in sequential lights.) I'll re-check my well again on Tuesday. As a part of my work, I've also re-built all of my sockets and replaced all the bulbs. (Insurance since its such a PITA to get to them.)

You can look up socket parts in this catalog: http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf

The seals for the 6 large sockets are part number 12129909. You can get them in small quantities from Mouser electronics 50 cents each! To get seals for the small sockets, you'll have to purchase all new sockets - 15324946, but getting this part is a bit harder - you are probably best to get a new pigtail in order to score a new seal.
Yes, please check when you can.

Thank you for reminding to replace some of my sockets, some of mine are burned up. When you say that you rebuilt your sockets, are you talking about cutting all the wires off of the old socket and splicing in a new one, or something different?

Thanks for the heads-up about Mouser Electronics. I will definitely be picking up some gaskets from them.

About part number 15324946. Where do you get your pigtails, somewhere like O'Reilly/AutoZone or somewhere else? This is a new area to me.

In your post, is a pigtail and a socket the same thing? EDIT: I think a socket is part of a pigtail but a pigtail is not part of a socket.

Thanks

Last edited by jdoyle; 01-10-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Yes, please check when you can.

Thank you for reminding to replace some of my sockets, some of mine are burned up. When you say that you rebuilt your sockets, are you talking about cutting all the wires off of the old socket and splicing in a new one, or something different?
No, no, no. Cutting wires and splicing is bad. I'm just rebuilding the sockets. If you look at the catalog link above, (page 6.4) you'll see that the socket assembly consists of wires (not shown), seals on the wires, terminals, the socket housing, a socket insert, and the gasket. All I'm doing is taking out the insert, inspecting for corrosion, and then replacing the inserts and gaskets.

The inserts are usually the "burned" pieces. Mouser sells the beige inserts for the rear sockets: 12177163. Please note - these are the correct sockets for the 4 tail/turn lights in the rear. I'm not sure if they are the same fit for the front lights. Mouser also does not stock the inserts for the backup bulbs, but I expect yours are fine.

I expect to have pictures of how these sockets come apart later on this week.

About part number 15324946. Where do you get your pigtails, somewhere like O'Reilly/AutoZone or somewhere else? This is a new area to me.

In your post, is a pigtail and a socket the same thing? EDIT: I think a socket is part of a pigtail but a pigtail is not part of a socket.

Thanks
I like RockAuto for pigtail types of parts. (You may be able to get the same thing through a local parts store.) The pigtail for the small tail bulbs is LS44.

When I say pigtail, I mean a small section of wire and all the parts of the sockets and terminals. (Something that you would splice in.) This whole assembly is around $30, which is a lot more than buying the individual pieces by themselves.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, no, no. Cutting wires and splicing is bad. I'm just rebuilding the sockets. If you look at the catalog link above, (page 6.4) you'll see that the socket assembly consists of wires (not shown), seals on the wires, terminals, the socket housing, a socket insert, and the gasket. All I'm doing is taking out the insert, inspecting for corrosion, and then replacing the inserts and gaskets.

The inserts are usually the "burned" pieces. Mouser sells the beige inserts for the rear sockets: 12177163. Please note - these are the correct sockets for the 4 tail/turn lights in the rear. I'm not sure if they are the same fit for the front lights. Mouser also does not stock the inserts for the backup bulbs, but I expect yours are fine.

I expect to have pictures of how these sockets come apart later on this week.

I like RockAuto for pigtail types of parts. (You may be able to get the same thing through a local parts store.) The pigtail for the small tail bulbs is LS44.

When I say pigtail, I mean a small section of wire and all the parts of the sockets and terminals. (Something that you would splice in.) This whole assembly is around $30, which is a lot more than buying the individual pieces by themselves.
I am going to need to rebuild some sockets as well. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. I will be taking some pictures of the sockets that I need to rebuild as well
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the whole taillight connector, not just the insert, they're cheap. I always have to bust out the gray connector to get the insert out of the burned front turn signal harnesses.(same as the rear turn signal sockets by the way)

Below is a link to the writeup of how to do this without cutting. note, I used a taillight harness to get the parts. (paid $5.00 for the whole harness)

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15143

if you do not want to buy from mouser, you can buy the HELP products at the auto part store, locally they used to be $7.00 for the whole pigtail, prices may have changed in the past few years.

To the original poster, I had a few spare drain plugs from parting out a friends 98, let me check when I get home and if I've still got them.

Ryan
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan:

Please let me know if you still have any spare drain plugs from parting out your friend's 98.

Also, I am not sure which bulb is the turn signal bulb and which is the DRL bulb in the turn signal housing of a Camaro, but the only one that is burnt on my car is the bigger of the two, which i am guessing is the DRL. some confirmation on whether this is the DRL or the turn signal would be appreciated.

slow and wssix99:
following the link to ls2.com and using the second picture down as a reference, the gray piece above the gasket (which i believe to be the housing) is burned as well. looks like I am going to need a new housing and a new insert, correct? I say that I am going to need a new insert because everything inside of the gray piece above the gasket is burned as well. please correct me if i am mistaken on the terminology. where do you two recommend that i source the necessary parts from?

Thanks

EDIT: and obviously, i'd replace the gasket too.

Last edited by jdoyle; 01-13-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Ryan:

Please let me know if you still have any spare drain plugs from parting out your friend's 98.

Also, I am not sure which bulb is the turn signal bulb and which is the DRL bulb in the turn signal housing of a Camaro, but the only one that is burnt on my car is the bigger of the two, which i am guessing is the DRL. some confirmation on whether this is the DRL or the turn signal would be appreciated.

slow and wssix99:
following the link to ls2.com and using the second picture down as a reference, the gray piece above the gasket (which i believe to be the housing) is burned as well. looks like I am going to need a new housing and a new insert, correct? I say that I am going to need a new insert because everything inside of the gray piece above the gasket is burned as well. please correct me if i am mistaken on the terminology. where do you two recommend that i source the necessary parts from?

Thanks

EDIT: and obviously, i'd replace the gasket too.
I looked today and there is a large hole. You may want to look in the HELP! or Dorman parts section at your local store. They sell some generic rubber plugs that may fit.

I changed my rear inserts the other week and just got to the fronts. Mine are fused also and I had to go back and order the housings, as well. Mouser sells everything. I have the part numbers for my Pontiac, but not sure if your Camaro has the same thing in the front.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I looked today and there is a large hole. You may want to look in the HELP! or Dorman parts section at your local store. They sell some generic rubber plugs that may fit.
thank you for looking. i found some people that are parting out cars and got a hold of some drain plugs.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the part numbers for my Pontiac, but not sure if your Camaro has the same thing in the front.
Please let me know what you have as far as part numbers are concerned.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did find the drainplugs for anybody else looking. I've got 2 just pay for usps first class mail and I'll ship them to you.

Ryan
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Please let me know what you have as far as part numbers are concerned.

Thank you.
BTW - I looked at the Help! parts the other day and they are not the same. Looks like lesser plastic and the seals are not as solid. Mouser sells the OEM Delphi connector parts. On my Firebird, they are:

socket - 12160395
insert - 12177163
seal - 12129909

You can check your Camaro sockets against section 6 of this catalog: http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...balCatalog.pdf
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

how did you determine which socket is correct for your vehicle? do the stock sockets have part numbers on them? I cannot seem to "back into it" using typical lamp number (since none of them seem to match up on sylvania or autozone's website), description of single or dual filament (i imagine that it is a dual filament? the car is not running or else i'd figure this one out), color (i am out of town so car isn't close by) or seal (since they are all the same) I do know that it is a sealed, right angle, wedge base though which means it is either PN 12160393,4 or 5. Luckily, it tells which insert goes with each socket so that is easy enough. I am gathering this info from page 284 of 404.

also how do i keep the things from burning up and committing suicide again?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Save the manuals!

how did you determine which socket is correct for your vehicle? do the stock sockets have part numbers on them? I cannot seem to "back into it" using typical lamp number (since none of them seem to match up on sylvania or autozone's website), description of single or dual filament (i imagine that it is a dual filament? the car is not running or else i'd figure this one out), color (i am out of town so car isn't close by) or seal (since they are all the same) I do know that it is a sealed, right angle, wedge base though which means it is either PN 12160393,4 or 5. Luckily, it tells which insert goes with each socket so that is easy enough. I am gathering this info from page 284 of 404.
Process of elimination. Your first logic is good - except 393 is for a single filament bulb. So, its either 394 or 395. Page 286 has the rest of the answers. (The only difference between the sockets is the focal length of the bulb filaments from the reflector.) 394 and 395 are distinguished by color. As my socket is grey, I know its a 395. The inserts and seals are the same part number between the two socket housings.

also how do i keep the things from burning up and committing suicide again?
Somewhat. Even the plastic housings on the bulbs themselves get fried. You'll see on page 284 that parts 15354864 and 5 are listed as high temperature equivalents. They would probably stand up better, but... the inserts are all the same part number - so the inserts and bulbs will still get charred.

In the end, the char isn't functionally a big deal. The sockets still work and the terminals (metal) are the important part.

THE ENEMY is corrosion. The most important thing to do is to:
- Bathe the terminals and bulb connections with dialectic grease.
- Replace the socket seals. (Some of the best 50 cents you will ever spend.)
- Make sure the lens housings aren't cracked.

As long as water stays out, everything should be fine. Replacing the socket seals made a world of difference. My sockets fit much tighter now. If there is corrosion, then most likely, the sockets and inserts will need to be replaced in the front. (I just replaced mine and the two parts had fused together.)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Camaro DRLs are:

socket - 12160395
insert - 12177163
seal - 12129909

Thanks for all of the help wssix99!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Drain Plugs & Tail Light Gaskets